Chapter 39: A Royal Ball

Anna's POV

After the ceremony and all the guests had left to go get ready for the ball, it was just Ariana, Jackson, Patrick, Zoran, Ray, and myself left in the throne room. I think the reason why we hadn't moved was that we all were processing what had just happened. I was about to get up and leave when Ray excitedly spoke, "So now that we only have a little bit before the ball... I'm taking Anna and Ariana so we can go get ready. Boys, I don't know what you're gonna do but us ladies are gonna go now and you won't see us until the ball,"

We all laughed. Then Ariana and I both got up to follow Ray out of the throne room and back to her room. Once we reached the room, "I am so ready to get out of this fucking dress. I love it and it's so pretty! But I hate how itchy and tight it is!" I exclaimed in frustration

"Too bad you can't change back into your comfy clothes. We have a ball to get ready for," Ray laughed excitedly. All our maids came into the room to help us get ready. Marissa walked in carrying my dress. We all changed into white bathrobes so they could begin to do our hair and makeup.

This is actually kind of relaxing I thought to myself as Marissa began to paint my nails gold. I was just beginning to relax when Ray asked me a question.

"So Anna, I can't help but notice you and Patrick seem to be getting along quite well. Something you wanna tell us?"

Ariana then chimed "Oh yeah, that was the question I was about to ask you before Marissa came to start getting you ready for the ceremony. I mean I know he kinda asked you out in front of practically everyone but no one has seen you all together since then"

I sighed before answering, "I thought it wasn't that obvious that we weren't together,"

Both of them gasp at the same time then freaked out simultaneously saying, "Oh my god!!! DID YOU ALL BREAKUP?!?!?"

"No no no! Of course not! I just meant that we haven't been alone together that's all! We're still together don't worry,"

"Thank god! You had us worried there for a second," Ray said as she signalled for her maids to keep doing her hair

"Sorry. I probably could've worded that better. What I mean is that we're trying not to make our relationship with each other too public. You know?"

"Why is that? That makes absolutely no sense Anna," said an incredibly confused Ray

I was quiet trying to think of a good way to explain what was going on to her. However, Ariana beat me to it, "This has something to do with Edmund, doesn't it?"

I just nodded and waited for Ray to catch up, "Oh so the rumour about you and him being a thing is true then"

"Kind of. Long story short, I love him and he loves me but the two of us cannot be together for many reasons but the main one being the fact that he is dead. So instead of making me chose between the two of them, Edmund let me go and is going to wait for me. In the meantime, he told me to go live my life however I wanted even if it means me falling in love with someone else. So that's what I'm doing and Patrick understands that too,"

There was a pause before Ray jumped in saying, "Wait so he's letting love another then why are you and Patrick hiding?"

It was Ariana that put the pieces together and answered Ray, "It's because Edmund is still here, isn't it? You and Patrick don't want to show off your relationship with him around to see it. YOu don't want to hurt him,"

I just sat there and nodded. "Yeah, that's correct. I just feel bad about it. I know it's not my fault but I can't help but feel a bit guilty,"

Ray shook her head, "You shouldn't. And you most certainly shouldn't hide your affection for Patrick. Edmund told you to be happy and that's what you're gonna do. Tonight you are going to look stunning in your dress, go out and get your man, and dance the night away with him. Don't feel guilty about it, just go be happy,"