Chapter 16: The Kings and Queens of Old

Lucy's POV

"Checkmate! Finally, I win!!!" I exclaimed as I moved my knight into the right position. I smile triumphantly at Edmund

"Ah, well not so fast," said Edmund as he moved his queen into a new spot on the chessboard. "There! Checkmate!"

"What!?! That's not fair!" I cried as I looked at the chessboard in dismay. I tried to figure out how on earth Edmund managed to always win.

I heard Susan laugh, "Awe give it a rest Lu. You know Edmund is always going to win chess"

"Still doesn't mean that I can't try and beat him every chance I get," I said while cleaning up the chessboard

"Well, I'm starved after that last game. I'm going to get some food. Anyone want anything?" Edmund said as he got up to leave the sunroom.

"Nope I'm good," I said to him

"No thanks Ed," said Susan and Peter simultaneously

Just then Caspian and Eustace walk in. "Well I'll take a ham and cheese sandwich and some lemonade cousin" teased Eustace.

"In your dreams cousin. Alright, I'll see you all in a bit then" said Edmund as he left to go get food. Just then Aslan walked in.

"Aslan!" I exclaim and got up to hug him

He laughed and accepted hugs from Susan and I. "Hello children, how are you today?"

"We're good Aslan. How are you doing?" said Peter

Alan sighed and said "Well, I've been better. A lot better. But we have some things to discuss first--"

"Wait, should I get Edmund?" I asked him as everyone took a seat at a meeting table that was in the room.

"No. Don't. It's best if he sits out as of right now" said Aslan and he took his spot at the head of the table.

"Ok sure. But what's going on?" I asked while everyone else is looking concerned

"So there seems to be a problem with our new generation back in Narnia. Anna has been kidnapped and everything has fallen apart since she got taken. I'm not sure why it has fallen apart, but it has and that's why I need you all to talk to your respective chosen ones"

"What why? They probably don't know that we even exist?" said Eustace

"Well because I want you to get to know them. Go talk to them in their dreams. Do whatever you can to calm them down and convince them they will be ok."

"So you want us to contact who we've chosen to be our new generation and talk to them, yes?" asked Susan

"That's correct"

"Ok, so why isn't Edmund here to hear this? Shouldn't we include him on this? I mean he did pick Patrick as his new generation. So why isn't he here right now?" asked Caspian

"Edmund made a special connection with Anna. If he found out that she was kidnapped, I fear he would spiral. He cannot know that she was taken. Which is why I want Caspian to take over contacting Patrick. Caspian, would you please contact Patrick for Edmund and everyone else does the same and not tell Edmund?"

We all nodded and agreed to what Aslan had told us and went our separate ways for the day. That night, each of us took turns trying to contact our respective person. Peter went first, contacting Zoran. He came out a few minutes later."How did it go?" I asked him

"Pretty well actually. He said one he found out that Lucy picked Anna, it was no surprise to him that I picked him. We talked and he seemed pretty calm about the whole matter. He loves Anna though. He'd do anything for his sister. So yeah, it went well. I'm very happy with my choice"

"That's great Peter. I guess it's my turn" said Susan as she walked into the viewing room. A few moments later, she reappeared with a smile on her face. "Oh, I am so glad I picked Ray. She's so sweet, caring, and extremely intelligent when it comes to comforting people and figuring out how to defuse a situation. We had a good talk about the whole situation"

"Well, that's good to hear and all. Now if you will excuse me. It's MY turn to go talk to my chosen one. So off I go," said Eustace as he passed everyone.

"Whatever. Just hurry up so we can all go" I said as I rolled my eyes. A few minutes later he reappeared. "Well... how did it go?" I asked

"It went quite alright thank you. Jackson is a very intelligent man. I picked right. Plus he wasn't the one who started the fight. So yeah I'm very pleased with the outcome of everything" said Eustace as he smugly left the room to go eat something. I rolled my eyes.

"Whatever. I think it's your turn Caspian. Good luck unless you want me to go before you" I told him

"No that's quite alright Lucy. I told Susan I'd go before you so that way we can have date night afterwards. And thanks for the luck. I'm gonna need it." He said as he walked into the viewing room. About 15 minutes later, Caspian returned looking pensive. He saw me and smiled. "It went really well. I didn't mention to Patrick why Edmund wasn't really there to talk to him because I got the feeling that Patrick also has feelings for Anna. I felt that it wasn't my place to tell him about Anna and Edmund."

"I understand. And that makes sense. Did he seem to understand though?"

"Yes, he seemed to definitely understand. I just told him that Edmund asked me to come to talk to him because he had to help Aslan with something. It worked. But I definitely can see why Edmund chose Patrick. I see part of Edmund in him. I like him and it was a good conversation. Now I must be off. Susan will be wondering where I've been" Caspian said as he walked toward Susan's chambres.

Well, I guess it's my turn to meet with Anna once again I thought to myself as I went into the viewing room.

I walked into the viewing room. In the middle of the room was a platform in front of a large golden mirror. There were control panels surrounding the room. There were other mirrors in the room but currently had nothing showing on them. Now to see if I can contact Anna. I walked over to the main control panel. I pushed a few buttons and flipped a couple of switches. Then I walked up to the platform and stood on it. I think of Anna and our connection.

I look directly into the mirror and there's nothing on it. It's just black. Hmmm... maybe the machine is broken or I forgot something. I then hop off the platform to try and figure out what was going on with the machine. That's interesting. Nothing seems to be wrong with the machine.

All of sudden I got a gust of wind and chills down my spine. I looked back at the mirror when I got on the platform. Then there was a flash of bright light. I fell over and then the mirror cracked. I was shocked. That's never happened before. I should go find Aslan I thought to myself as I turned off the machines. I leave the viewing room to go find Aslan. I found him just outside the viewing room sitting outside on a balcony. "Aslan"

"So my suspicions were right then"

"If you're referring to how I am unable to see or reach Anna, yes you're correct"

"I was afraid of that. But it seems that she is beyond our reach at this time. So I think I'm going to have to go assess the situation myself. But I was afraid of being right,"

"What does this mean?"

"It means that Anna is in a lot of danger"