Chapter 43: New Limitations

Caspian's POV

After Susan and I walked through the gate, we saw that we were back in the viewing room. We had landed on the same pad that we used to get to Narnia. We then waited for Edmund and Lucy to walk through as well. Once they were through, we all expected Aslan to come through next. But when he didn't, we all just kind of looked at each other not sure what to do. It was Eustace who broke the silence first, "Well I don't know about you all, but I'm once again hungry. So I'm off to get something to eat. Plus I promised Reepachieep that I would spare with him once I got back,"

"Ok sure but if Aslan wants us back then come back please," Peter said looking relatively annoyed

"Sure but I wasn't exactly asking for your permission there Pete," Eustace said as he went out the door. Now all that was left was Peter, Susan, Lucy and Edmund. Edmund was looking longingly at the mirror that would normally show him Narnia.

But at the current moment, it was blank. Peter gave Edmund a look of pity before he exited the room. Lucy was soon to follow him. That just left Susan myself. She patted him on the shoulder before starting to walk out. But then after she noticed I wasn't following her stopped. So I whispered in her ear, "Go on. I'll catch up with you in a minute,"

She nodded and headed out of the room. By this point, Edmund had realised that it was just himself and I. He turned to face me, "You can go Caspian. It's fine and I'm ok,"

I chuckled, "Don't kid yourself. I saw how you looked at her throughout the whole ball and how you conveniently left after giving her back to Patrick. I'm not a fool Ed. I know how painful it can be to wait for love to come back to you,"

"Yeah, I know that. But you didn't have to watch Susan fall in love with another man. You yourself actually got to fall in love with another while waiting for her. How are our situations the same?"

"They aren't. I never said they were, to begin with. I'm just saying that I understand what you're going through that's all. I'm letting you know that if you ever need someone to talk to, I'm here. You're not alone,"

Edmund turned away, "It sure does feel like I'm alone,"

But before I could respond, Aslan appeared on the landing pad. He walked gracefully over to Edmund and myself. He sighed, "Good it's just you two here. Just the two people I wanted to speak with,"

"Why just us two? Don't you want to talk to the others as well?" I asked confused

"I spoke with them last night. You, on the other hand, Caspian, were way too intoxicated for me to have this conversation with and I wanted Edmund to spend as much time as he could with Anna,"

We both nodded at the lion. I had an inkling feeling that this conversation was something Edmund did not want to hear. Oh shit. He's going to tell us the new limitations, isn't he? Thank god Susan warned me about it this morning I thought to myself as I braced for the next words that came out of the lion's mouth.

"As you both already know, the amount of power and magic used to get you all back to Narnia was a lot. It almost broke the machines. So in order to still be able to do that, we have to let the machines rest and rebuild their strength. What that means is, you can only use this room to view your chosen person. Nothing else,"

"What!?!" cried a frustrated and already upset Edmund

Aslan just looked apologetically at him, "If you ever want the chance to be down there with her again, you have to do this. I'm sorry it has to be this way but it does,"

"What about dream visits? Can I still do those?"

"Unfortunately those take up a lot of power and magic. It's too dangerous to do. I'm sorry but right now you can only view and really only view Patrick since he is your person. But I would advise against it for you Edmund. It'll only make you want to be there with her,"

"Great, just great. Anything else you need to tell me? Like how I'm never going to see her again,"

"No, that is all I need to talk to you about. I'm sorry it has to be this way. I really am. But I promise you that you will see her again. Just give it some time and be patient,"

"Yeah whatever," grumbled Edmund as he stormed out of the room

There was an eerily silence as Aslan and I watched him leave. I felt bad for him but no one really expected him to fall in love with her or for her to have such a strong connection to him. I turned to Aslan, "He'll be alright. I think he just has to get used to the idea. Anyway, you wanted to talk to me about something else?"

He nodded and we walked out of the room together and walked down the hallways of Aslan's Castle. "Have you chosen your person yet?"

"Yes, I have actually. I think she will make a very nice fit for the group when they have to return after they leave. I think she and Anna will get along quite nicely,"

"Hmm... yes. What is her name?"

"Miranda Wilson, why?" Aslan then began to laugh, "What is so funny my friend?"

"I find it odd and slightly funny that all of you were allowed to chose anyone on Earth and yet you all chose people that are connected somehow,"

"What? You're joking. I knew that the ones the Pevensies and Eustace chose just happen to be connected, but mine is now connected to them too? How? Is it a coincidence? Or is it fate?"

Aslan pondered the questions for a second before responding, "Well Miranda is connected to them because she is Anna's best friend back on Earth. They've been friends a very long time and therefore knows Zoran very well and the rest of the group at least as acquaintances. As for is it a coincidence or is it fate? That I do not have the answer to. Some things will forever remain a mystery,"

"It is strange. But I guess we will have to wait and see what happens,"

"Yes, we shall have to wait and see,"