Chapter 38: The Kings and Queens of New

Ariana's POV

A week had passed since the war officially ended between Adam and me. All of us had settled into the castle. What was once a dark and gloomy castle, now was a bright and happy castle. Susan and Lucy both expressed how much it reminded them of Cair Paravel. As I walked through the halls, I looked around and noticed that today was the day. So today's the day. Breathe Ariana. Today we become queen and everything is as it should be I thought to myself as I headed down to Anna's room. Once I got there I knocked on the door, "Anna? Can I come in?"

There was a pause before heard Anna say, "It's open, come on in"

I walked in expecting to find her still in bed, but instead, she was up and drinking some tea while reading on the balcony. She waved me over. As I walked over I noticed that she wasn't wearing a dress but instead some black legging with a blue blouse and her hair was in a messy bun. I gave her a puzzling look. "Umm, you do know that today, as in a few hours, is the coronation ceremony, right?"

"Yeah, I know. Why do you look hella confused?"

"Because you're wearing legging, a blouse, and a messy bun. Shouldn't you be getting ready?"

She threw her head back and laughed, "You think I'm going to get into my dress, make-up and hair in advance? You're funny. I could also ask you the same thing,"

"I mean you aren't wrong. I actually came here to check on you and maybe also get ready with you,"

Anna was quiet for a second before responding, "I'm doing alright. It's hard getting used to everything being quiet. Plus there's the fact that you and I and everyone else are about to be crowned kings and queens. It's a lot to take in, you know?"

I nodded and then sat down next to her, "Yeah I know what you mean. I mean I'm hella nervous but I'm not as scared anymore,"

"At least you got training as a child. I was thrown into all of this by some prophecy and look at me now. Anyway, we can get ready together but I think for the ball tonight Ray is kidnapping us along with Susan and Lucy to get ready,"

"So I heard, hey how are you--" before I could finish, Anna's Lady in Waiting came in. I recognised her immediately, "Marissa?"

Marissa smiled before bowing. "Hello, your grace and Lady Anna. I've come to start getting milady ready for the ceremony. I can come back if you want. I didn't know you were here,"

Anna laughed and smiled, "How many times do I have to tell you to stop calling me, 'milady'? You've earned the right to call me just Anna,"

"I know. But with all due respect, I prefer addressing you both by your title. It just makes me feel more comfortable. Plus you're about to be queens so there's that too. Anyway, shall I send for Princess Ariana's maid to come here and help her get ready?"

I stood up to go. "No that's alright. I would like some alone time before the ceremony," Anna and I both got up and headed back into her room. After she shut the balcony doors, I turned to her and said, "Don't overthink it. It'll be alright and you and I are gonna learn how to do this whole ruling thing together,"

She smiled. "Yes, we've come this far already, how hard could running a kingdom be anyway" replied Anna as I headed out the door. I walked down the hall to my room. I could see all the servants preparing for the ball and ceremony. It was a nice sight to see but also terrifying. I felt my heartbeat start to run and I felt a little panicky.

The second I reached my room I shut the door and took two deep breaths. Breathe Ariana breath. It's ok, it's not like we're going into battle again. It's just a crowning ceremony and becoming a queen. Nothing fancy. Just then there was a knock on the door. Trying to sound as normal as I could, "Who is it?"