Chapter 40: Soulmates

Edmund's POV

I smiled mischievously at Anna as we walked out of the ballroom and headed towards the gardens. I just wanted a minute to talk with her away from prying ears, and most importantly, Patrick. When we reached the gardens, I led her to spot under a willow tree with a little white bench. I gestured for her to take a seat. I was about to say something when she beat me to it, "So what do you need me for Edmund? I'm pretty sure that there's a party going on in there that I'm missing and I believe it's a party for me," she teased

"It wouldn't be a try party without some chaos and scandal now would it?"

She looked at me a bit shocked before smiling, "Oh lord what have you got in mind?"

I laughed, "Nothing really. I just wanted to spend some time with you away from everyone. Get a moment alone,"

She sighed, "You mean get a moment alone with me away from Patrick,"

"Yes, I mean no. Damn was it that easy to figure it out?"

Then she smiled and threw her head back and laughed, "Ed I could feel your stares from all the way across the ballroom. I'm pretty sure Patrick could too. In all honesty, I thought about coming over to ask you to dance but it would've looked bad with all the rumours going around at the moment,"

"Rumours?"

"Oh yes. My favourite is that I'm sleeping with both of you at the same time and it's really because you two are gay for each other. I don't really care that much. I think it's hilarious. But I'm not sure how you and Patrick feel about it,"

I thought for a second before responding, "Well rumours are something you gotta get used to. It comes with the job I'm afraid. But you handle yourself pretty well,"

"That is very true. Now Just King... why don't you tell me why you brought me out here and show me a good time,"

"Well I had to get you alone so I could tell you how gorgeous you look in that dress. It honestly should be illegal for someone to look this pretty," I winked at her. She laughed. I then grabbed her hand, spun her around, dipped her, and then kissed her. It was like that first kiss we shared what felt like a lifetime ago. After we broke up, she was out of breath so I asked her, "Do you believe in soulmates?"

At first, she looked confused than worried. Then she laughed as she said "Oh shit, you're serious? Aren't you the romantic Pevensie?"

"I try, I try. But seriously do you believe in them?"

"Yes and no. I like to think that there's someone out there that perfectly matches me and I would be happy with them for eternity. But that is unrealistic to think about. Even if they do exist, I think that you can be just as happy and in love with someone that isn't your soulmate. Like we all might have a soulmate out there but we don't necessarily have to be with them to be happy. And maybe soulmates can change. I'm not really sure, why do you ask?"

"No real reason in particular,"

"Come on Ed, don't be like that. What's going on?"

"It's nothing, well no not really. I mean I was just thinking about something Lucy said to me the other day. That's all,"

"What did she say?"

"Soulmates are possible here in Narnia. She thinks you and I might be soulmates but she wasn't sure after seeing how happy you and Patrick are,"

Anna got quiet and began to play with the lace on her dress. "It's just like I said, it might be possible. But there's no guarantee. But I will say if given the chance to totally be with you I would take it. I would take it in a fucking heartbeat. But we both know that that's not possible until I die. And I hope you know I don't plan on dying for a long time and I plan on living a full and happy life,"

"I would expect nothing less from you. I want you to be happy. I would wait 10,000 years for you. I'm not going anywhere. But please, go and be happy with Patrick. You deserve nothing but the best and I'm glad that person just so happens to be the one I hand-picked to come to Narnia,"

She chuckled and smiled up at me "Good. Now enough talk, dance with me?" I could still hear the music from the castle. I took her hand and we began to dance around the willow tree. At that moment, it was just the two of us. No one else mattered and it was a blissful and peaceful moment.

After we danced for a while, I decided it was time to go back inside. Before we got inside she stopped and looked up at me, "That was goodbye, wasn't it? You're leaving soon aren't you?"

"Yes and no. I truly did want to get a moment alone with you. But yes, my siblings and I are leaving soon. And this would've been my last chance to have a moment alone with you and say goodbye without saying goodbye. I know it might sound cringy as hell but--"

She cut me off by grabbing my face and kissed me. It wasn't like the kiss we had earlier. No, this kiss was filled with desire and longing since both of us knew this would probably be the last time we would get this chance. When we broke apart she turned her head and wouldn't look at me. I figured it was so I didn't see the tears in her eyes. Anna lifted her head and then smiled at me. We walked back into the ballroom hand in hand. When we got there the party was clearly still in full swing and didn't look like it was going to die down anytime soon. Patrick saw us and walked over to us. "Great! You're back! Let's dance!"

Anna rolled her eyes as she too could tell that he was pretty tipsy at this point. She smiled and after she drowned a glass of whisky, she followed him onto the dance floor. As they were walking away I could hear Patrick ask if she was alright. She responded with "I'm fine don't worry about it,"

I watched them get together on the dance floor. Anna looked radiant as she danced with Patrick. Her smile never left her face. Together they spun around the dance floor and eventually after a couple of drinks, they were all over each other. I leaned back against the column and just observed. At least she's happy and with a good guy. That's all I could really ever want for her. I thought to myself. I then left the ballroom to head back to my room. I knew if I stayed and watched any longer I would get jealous and possibly cause a scene. So I left even though I knew that the party would go well on into the early morning.