Chapter 46: Lessons and Politics

Patrick's POV

It was a bright spring day where the birds were chirping and the flowers were blooming. It was a perfect day for a picnic. This is going to be great! I'm going to go and take Anna away from all the work she's been doing. We're going to have a good time at this picnic. I thought to myself as I walked down the hallway towards her office. Anna had chosen for her office to be in the upper part of the castle where it could overlook the kingdom. She chose it for the amazing view it had and it gave her a sense of peace when she needed it. As I approached it, I saw Commander Amos standing outside her door. "Hey Amos, are you here to see Anna about something?" I asked

"Well, I was just in there and now I'm debating whether or not I should go in there tell her the part I forgot to say,"

"Why don't you come back late? I'm about to go in and take her out to lunch,"

Amos laughed, "With all due respect your majesty, I don't think you want to go in there right now,"

"Why would I not want to..." I stopped talking at the sudden cry of anger, string of curse words, and smashing of an object that came from Anna's office. I looked at Amos in surprise.

"Yeah, she did not get the report she wanted to hear from me. Sorry about that, if I had known that you were going to take her to lunch, I would have waited. But I guess that's life,"

"It's ok Amos. This isn't the first time I've seen her angry. Wish me luck though," I said as I walked through the door.

I opened the door to her office. I walked inside to see Anna standing by the window with her back to me. I shut the door behind me which caught her attention, "Amos if you're back here to tell me what I think you're here to tell me, I SWEAR TO GOD I'LL... Oh! Shit uh sorry, Patrick. I didn't know it was you that had come in. Please sit,"

I took a seat as she collapsed into her chair. She was wearing a short-sleeved dress. It had a solid black top with a v neckline and a black skirt with red and white flowers all over it. Her hair was curled and fell in front of her face as her hand ran through it. It was clear that she was frustrated, "Are you ok? Can I do anything to help?" I asked her concerned

"No no. It's not your fault and there's nothing you can do. Sorry for yelling at you, I thought you were either Amos, Octavia, or Oscar with more bad news or want to know what our next move is. What can I help you with?"

"Nothing actually. I came to steal you away from all of this and take you out on a lunch date. But you seem to be pretty busy and have a lot on your plate. We can go out on another day if you'd like,"

"Oh please let's go then. I would love to go on a lunch date with you. It would allow me to get away from all this shit and take a nice breather. Plus we've somehow managed to match and in the same type of outfit," she was referring to how I too was wearing more modern clothes. The black dress shirt and khakis I wore just so happened to match her dress as well.

"Alright then, let's go! And when we get there you have to tell me what's been going on. I honestly don't think I've seen you that angry since the time you found out half of the diplomats weren't invited to the Christmas Ball," She nodded and took my hand as we walked to the picnic together.

Once we got outside, we walked over to this willow tree that I had found a couple of days ago. There was a stump with the picnic basket I had prepared. There were a cheese platter and two glasses of wine already laid out with a blanket on the ground as well. Anna smiled at me, "Did you do this all yourself?"

"Yeah. I thought you could do with a nice treat,"

"Well, it's lovely. Thank you," she kissed me on the cheek before taking a sip of her wine

"So are you gonna tell me what's on your mind?" I asked her while spreading some of the goat cheese on a cracker

She sighed, "It's stupid politics. I'm in charge of it and keeping the balance between everything isn't as easy as it seems. Today Amos came to me with the daily report and it wasn't good. The treaty that we had finalised and I thought finished dealing with got rejected by Archenland. So now we have to go back and renegotiate. This all on top of today being the day when I'm supposed to reassign troops and Octavia and Oscar have both been breathing down my neck to see where I'm sending everybody. It's rough, you know?"

I nodded, "Isn't treaties and foreign stuff Zoran's job? Like I thought he dealt with all foreign affairs and diplomats,"

"It is. But that's for when they come here to Narnia and stuff happens in person. However, when it's through letters and the treaty is already in place, it becomes my job. It's nice because it means Zoran and I work closely together. Unlike you and I where I don't think I've had a meeting with you expect for the cabinet meetings that have everyone there,"

"Ah, I see. Well, I'm glad I could come to help you take some stress off your chest. Also, did I tell you how stunning you look?" I said while taking a bit of one of the sandwiches

She blushed bright red, I seem to still be the only one who could make her blush, "Stop it. You're making me blush,"

"Well isn't that part of my job as your boyfriend?" I beamed at her

"I guess so. You're doing a very good job at it. Now if only other countries got the message,"

"What do you mean by that?" I chuckled

"It's all these damn suitors. I swear if one more guy comes to Narnia seeking my hand in marriage, I might scream. Like how come everyone knows Zoran and Ray are together but every time I tell someone you and I are together they're shocked. Like why is that,"

"Well, I think part of it is that you and I keep our relationship on the down-low. We have private moments like these. But, Ray and Zoran actually go out on dates in the kingdom so more people see them together. Nothing wrong with it, but that's why most people don't know about us. And I kind of like it that way, the less the media knows the less we're bugged for interviews,"

"That is very true. It's just annoying. But I would pick turning down a suitor over having to rush into an engagement any day," Anna said as moved to sit in my lap since I was lying against the willow tree.

"Well watching you turn down suitors because you're with me is a wonderful sight to see," I laughed. Then I kissed her. We kept kissing for a few minutes just enjoying each other's company because we hadn't had a moment alone in a while. It was nice and relaxing. When we broke apart, she smiled and then leaned against me.

She closed her eyes, "This is nice, and really just what I needed. Thank you," she gave me a light kissed on the lips before relaxing against me once again. I hugged her waist and pulled her against me lovingly. I could feel the stress roll off of her as she relaxed more and more. I kissed the top of her head.

"I wish we could just stay like this forever. Too bad we both have jobs where we actually have to show up for,"

"Yeah it's like we actually have to rule a kingdom and act like adults," she joked

I smirked at her words. We spent the rest of the afternoon with each other. It was nice to just get some time alone with her, not having to worry about all of Narnia for a few hours. We relaxed underneath the willow tree. When it was finally time to go, we gathered up the picnic basket and wine and headed back inside the castle. We walked back hand in hand smiling and looking forward to whatever was ahead for us.