Chapter 36: Where to Next?

Justin's POV

Everyone was sitting around a large table in the castle's conference room. I looked around at the people in the room, whom I can almost call family at this point. I could see how everything had changed them all including myself. Anna had changed from the girl who couldn't muster up the courage to talk to a boy to a strong, brave, and wise leader. Zoran went from an overprotective brother to a man who won't stop at anything to get the job done. Patrick was no longer the arrogant jerk and Ray finally found her courage and voice. The others had all grown too.

"So what's next?" Anna asked Aslan

"Well, first and foremost we will have a proper coronation ceremony where Ariana will get crowned and so will the Children of New. After tha--"

"Hold up hold up! Did you just say that we, as in the Children of New, are getting crowned?" asked a very confused Zoran. Anna, Ray, Jackson, and Patrick all look super confused as well.

"Yes, of course, you are! Your valiant efforts are what allowed us to win this war. Without you, I would not be here right now. So yes, you will be crowned," answered Ariana and Aslan nodded

"Yes and I guess while we're on the topic, we should discuss titles, new roles, and expectations. As you each take after a king or queen of old, your title will be similar to theirs. Patrick and Zoran will be crowned kings. Ray and Anna will be crowned queens, Anna will, however, be receiving the title of High Queen," explained Aslan

Ray raised her hand to speak and Aslan nodded for her to speak, "I'm all for Anna receiving the title of High Queen. I think all of us can agree that she out of all of us totally deserves that title. After all she's done and gone through," we all nodded in agreement. "I can't help but noticed that you didn't give Jackson the title of king. Why is that? He's done just as much as the rest of us,"

Aslan chuckled and Ariana quickly looked down at her hands. "I was just about to explain that but I'm glad you noticed and brought it up. Yes, Jackson has done just as much as everyone else. However, there are two things, the first one being that Eustace was never actually crowned a king of Narnia and Jackson is Eustace's chosen one. So he does not have a title to inherit. The other thing is that it is a tradition for a Queen of Narnia to marry or court someone of lesser power than her if the person is not a political arrangement or a potential union between kingdoms. I've spoken with Ariana and knowing what her intentions are, it makes more sense for Jackson since he is neither a political advantage nor union between kingdoms..." Aslan trailed off after he looked around and saw everyone's faces.

Ariana had turned bright red and was purposely avoiding eye contact with Jackson. Jackson's expression was a mixture of pure joy, shock, and confusion. Patrick and Zoran's jaws were dropped. Anna rolled her eyes while trying not to laugh. The kings and queens of old were trying to contain their laughter. It was Susan who broke the slightly awkward silence, "Aslan, I think you just outed Ariana's feelings for Jackson,"

"Yeah, you totally did. I mean I knew about them but I don't know about the rest of y'all," said Anna

"Wait what do you mean you knew already? I mean I knew Ariana and I liked each other, but we hadn't told anyone or discussed anything besides feelings," said Jackson

"Oh come on Jackson, it was so obvious, no one had to say anything," I said while laughing at the shocked faces of the couple

"Yes, we are together. Might as well say it now. But I had not gotten around to telling you, Jackson, about courting and stuff. So Aslan, why don't you continue?"

Aslan nodded, "As I was saying, it makes more sense for Jackson to be crowned as either a prince or a lord. I was going to leave the choice up to him. He will still have the same responsibility and respect as everyone else,"

"In all honesty, I would rather be a lord than a king or prince. To me at least, I have seen what having a title can do to me, at least back home in high school, and I did not like it. So I think Lord would be more fitting to me. Especially since I will have the same responsibility as everyone,"

There was a pause where everyone nodded. Anna then stood up and walked over to the window. She spoke for the first time since the meeting began, "You both keep saying we'll all have responsibilities. By that, do you mean leading you in another war?" She turned around and looked directly at Aslan, "If so, that is something I will not do nor want. I cannot speak for the others but I will not be part of another war. Not for at least a few years. I-I- I just can't. I know if we have to then fine because you'll need the phoenix in me. But I'm tired hell we all are, we got what you wanted. Since I got here, I haven't gotten a moment's rest, that's all I want now,"

When she finished Aslan smiled, "No I'm not talking about another war child. I'm talking about you all ruling Narnia,"

"Why else would we be crowning you all kings and queens? I want you all to help me rule Narnia for as long as you like, at least that's my understanding,"

Aslan just nodded in response to that and that was all that was said on the subject of the soon to be Kings and Queens of New returning to their world. "So I'm assuming the reason we're all here is because you have jobs for all of us then. Excluding the Kings and Queens of Old of course," I said

"Yes, that is correct. Since Ariana is technically the current ruler of Narnia, she will oversee everything and have final say really. But the rest of you have a speciality. Anna, you will be in charge of political and military matters. Patrick, you will handle the economy and justice system. Zoran, you will deal with all foreign and diplomatic affairs. Ray, you will be there for the people and any humanitarian items. And lastly, Jackson, you will be dealing with anything to do with trade. Any questions?" said Peter

"Before you ask questions though, I just wanted to say we pick these jobs for you based off of what we think you will be good at and what we were good at. For example, Ray, I was excellent with planning balls and helping out the people at the kingdom. You have a special skill for bringing out the best in people," Susan pointed out to us and the rest of the mentors pointed out the same

"Patrick, I had a knack for figuring out the law and all. I've seen the way you think and know you'll be just as good at it as I was if not better. Though the economy was Peter's job and anyone can be better than him,"

"Hey! Not funny. Anyway, Zoran, being the eldest does put you at an advantage of knowing how best to deal with difficult people but also how to win people over. Something I saw in you early on,"

Lucy turned to Anna, smiling, "There's always been a reason as to why I picked you, Anna. While I did not make you the phoenix, it makes sense. While I was not the leader, I knew you would make a great one. There is a kindness in you that allows you to see the best in everyone. But there's something else that lets you separate personal feelings from interfering with your work. Something that will definitely help,"

"Jackson buddy, while I did not even have the chance to rule Narnia as long as the rest of them, I did learn the skills to rule. I know you'll do great,"

Caspian smiled and nodded at all of us. Aslan rose from his seated position, "Two more things. One, Anna as high queen will also be working closely with Ariana so she too will kind of oversee everything. Two, Justin you will remain captain of the royal guard,"

"Thank you, your grace. I am honoured to continue serving you and the royals," I said happily

"That is all, everyone except Zoran and Ray may go. I must speak with them alone. So Ray and Zoran, if you don't mind following me please," Aslan then walked out of the room followed by a confused Ray and Zoran. We all looked at each other trying to see if someone knew what was going on. It was clear no did except maybe Susan and Peter who followed them shortly after.

"Well, I guess that's our cue to go and get some food then settled in. I for one cannot wait to sleep in my own bed," Ariana said as she took her leave along with the rest of us following her.

As I walked out I thought to myself, I hope Ray and Zoran aren't in trouble or anything