Chapter 26

Wife? I started to choke on my spit as I looked up at him in confusion mixed with shock wondering where the fuck that came from.

So this is why he wanted me to wear the ring. Not for me to add to my outfit, but for him to lie and claim me as his like some controlling psychopath.

"Isn't that right, my love?" Nathaniel murmured, looking down at me with desire in his eyes before placing a warm kiss on my cheek. "Go along with it," he ordered roughly as he brushed his lips against my cheek, stopping right at the corner of my mouth.

I looked over at Domizio, seeing disappointment mixed with anger written all over his face when I nodded slowly, confirming Nathaniel's words.

"Well, I'll be going now," Domizio finally choked out as he not so discretely rubbed his crotch. "It was nice seeing you, Nathaniel."

Pig.

Nathaniel nodded again at the man and watched as he disappeared into the crowd. And as soon as we were alone again, he immediately dropped his arms at his side as if touching me for any longer was going to poison him.

"Your fucking wife?" I hissed lowly as I turned towards him, trying not to make a scene. "Why the fuck did you say that?"

"I don't have to explain myself to you," he replied coldly as his eyes darted around the room.

"The hell you do! You don't get to claim me like the controlling psychopath you are and expect me not to have any answers," I growled, slamming my fist against the table, which caused a few heads to turn in our direction.

Nathaniel clenched his jaw and narrowed his eyes at me as he gripped my elbow roughly and began to drag me away from the nosy crowd.

"Nate, is that you?" An unfamiliar voice asked, saving me from the brink of death.

Nathaniel cursed lowly under his breath before turning around to greet the person the voice belonged to. "Carlo."

"I know you aren't running away from me," the man named Carlo laughed as he made his way towards us, wearing an all-black tuxedo with a pink bow tie. His dark hair was hanging wild around his face, but the look suited his handsome features.

No, he was getting ready to kill me in the back of the building but go ahead and make this about you, I thought to myself.

Nathaniel's hand left my elbow and quickly slipped around my waist before Carlo could notice his possessive grip. I was tempted to shove my elbow into his rib-cage, fed up with him dragging me around like a rag-doll, but I quickly came to my senses, knowing I would never win a fight against him.

"Don't tell me you're drunk already," Nathaniel answered, eyeing the drink in his hand.

Carlo barked with laughter shaking his shoulders in the process as the men shook hands. "Not yet, but I will be by the end of the night."

Nathaniel shook his head and scanned the room again, looking for an exit point before turning his attention back to Carlo.

Great, so he still plans on killing me.

"Well, hello Bellissima," Carlo whistled, shifting his gaze towards me. (Beautiful.) He respectfully kept his eyes on my face as he continued speaking. "And who might you be?"

Nathaniel's grip around my waist tightened, silently warning me to act accordingly. That, I can do, especially when there's a handsome man involved.

"I'm Nathaniel's wife, Anastazi Creed," I lied, giving him my best smile before Nathaniel could say anything.

Shock flashed across Carlo's face as he took in my words. I would've had the same reaction if someone told me that a whore like Nathaniel had settled down.