Chapter 6

I spent the rest of the weekend cooped up inside, going over mass amounts of paperwork for Faye Industries. I kept trying to figure out where exactly my father went wrong with his gambling problem to put me in this unthinkable situation. But I was also burying myself in work so I wouldn't have to think about Carter and what I would say to him come Monday morning. Maybe he won't even bring it up and continue like nothing happened, I thought hopefully before turning in for the night.

As I walked through the doors of Crap Industries bright and early Monday morning, there was a weird feeling in the pit of my stomach. The closer I got to my floor, the more nervous I became. What was I even going to say to him? "Hey, Carter, your best friend who happens to be our boss who I happen to absolutely despise with every bone in my body threatened to bankrupt me because he thought I willingly put a dumb ass meal on his tab. I also wanted to strangle him to death right then and there, but I walked away instead and ditched you guys without saying anything." Hell no, I'm definitely leaning more towards a lie; I don't need any more drama in my life, seeing as I have enough to last a lifetime.

As the elevator doors slid open, my hands began to feel clammy; I quickly slid them down my dress wiping off the sweat that built up over the course of the thirty-second ride. Making my way to my office, I scanned the room to see if Carter was anywhere around, and lucky for me, he wasn't. Breathing a sigh of relief, I hastily unlocked my office, slammed the door, and pressed my forehead against it, relieved that I was able to get away unseen.

"I knew you would try to avoid me." A low voice spoke up from behind me.

"Fuck." I whispered, slowly turning around, coming face to face with Carter. He cocked an eyebrow as he rubbed his light stubble, clearly waiting for an explanation.

"How did you get in here?" I asked, changing the subject as I made my way to my desk.

"Stazi don't do that," he murmured, taking a seat in front of me. "Did I do something wrong? I apologize if I took it too far on the dance floor and made you do something you didn't necessarily want to do. It was never my intention to make you uncomfortable, and I-"

"Carter, stop," I said, interrupting his unneeded apology. "You did nothing wrong; I enjoyed every moment I spent there."

"Then why did you leave?" He asked, clasping his hands together while leaning forward. His topaz eyes bore into mine as I gathered my thoughts.

"I started feeling sick." I lied, tearing my eyes away from his; if I kept staring into them, I probably would've told him the truth.

"Well, are you feeling any better?" He questioned further with a concerned look on his face.

"Yea, I am, thanks for asking." I smiled apologetically. "I'm really sorry, by the way."

He shook his head and smirked, "It's fine, but a little warning next time would be nice; Stella was freaking out."

"Of course she was." I laughed, imagining her going into hysterics. "But It won't happen again," I assured him.

Carter shot me a grateful smile and said his goodbye before exiting my office, leaving me alone to work. That actually went way better than I originally planned, of course it helped that he didn't pry and just accepted my answer as is. Elated that the worst was over, I turned my computer on to check my emails and go over paperwork before my lunch break, but it was cut short by the voice that came from my intercom.

"Come to my office now," It ordered.

"Fuckkkkkkkk." I groaned in irritation, just when I thought my day was going smoothly. I made my way towards his office and began mentally preparing before finally deciding to play the nice card, no more snapping at him, giving attitude, or even showing irritated facial expressions. When it comes down to it, he's going to have to dig up a reason to fire me because from here on, Sassy Stazi is gone, and Cordial Stazi is here to stay.