Chapter 75

After our escapade, instead of going home, we decided to book a presidential suite at a hotel nearby, and as soon as my body collapsed onto the soft king-sized bed, darkness immediately consumed me.

* * *

"He made me promise not to tell her," a harsh voice snapped, pulling me out of my peaceful slumber.

It took all the energy I had to force my eyes open, squinting as the light shining through the curtains blinded me for a fraction of a second.

"This does not concern you, and if you even think about telling her yourself, that'll be the last thing you do," Nathaniel threatened lowly.

My eyebrows raised in curiosity as I laid there unmoving with my back facing him, hoping to hear more and figure out who he could possibly be referring to.

"This is what's best for her and her m--" He suddenly stopped speaking, and silence immediately captivated the room as if he knew there was an extra set of ears listening in on his conversation.

Before I had time to pretend to be sleeping again, Nathaniel had already hung up the phone and was kneeling in front of me with a smirk on his face.

"Good morning, love," he murmured, reaching out and brushing strands of hair out of my face acting completely normal as if he wasn't just threatening to kill the person on the other line a few seconds ago.

I blinked slowly and squinted up at him as if I had just woken up. "Good morning."

"Breakfast is in the kitchen whenever you're ready to eat, I have to go and make a call, but I'll be back soon."

"Is everything okay?" I asked, subtly referring to his recent phone call.

Nathaniel gazed down at me lovingly as he brushed his thumb across my cheek, but I could see the distant agony in his eyes that he tried to conceal as he assured me that everything was fine before leaving me alone in the room.

I sighed heavily, pushing myself out of bed only to be greeted by piercing pain shooting through my core, a clear reminder of what happened last night. I gritted my teeth and squeezed my eyes shut, breathing in and out slowly until the pain became bearable, allowing me to move again. My mind wandered back to Nathaniel's phone call as I showered, wondering what he was talking about and if it had anything to do with me. So many unanswered questions swarmed my brain, but I shook them off and tried to make myself believe that he was just talking about a client like he usually is, easing the anxiety that was slowly building up.

When I turned around to finally get out of the steamy shower, there Nathaniel was casually leaning against the counter beside my fresh pair of clothes that he most likely got from his place while I was still sleeping, wearing grey sweatpants and a tight black t-shirt that wrapped around his muscular arms nicely with a towel slung over his shoulder, waiting for me.

"How long have you been there?" I asked as he wrapped the towel around my wet body before positioning me between his long legs.

"Long enough to see you get lost in your thoughts," his eyes flickered down to my lips then back up to my eyes. "What were you thinking about?"

"You," I breathed, leaning forward until our faces were inches apart, and before he opened his mouth to reply, I closed the gap between us, locking lips with his. Nathaniel groaned lowly as he wrapped his arms around my waist, pulling me closer towards him as if I wasn't close enough already.

"I love you," he murmured as soon as we broke away.

I smiled up at him and pecked his lips again briefly. "And I love you, now get out so I can get ready; I don't need you distracting me."