Chapter 61

Minutes passed, and Nathaniel still hadn't come back yet. My eyes darted around the room again, searching for him until I finally found his handsome figure slowly walking onto the grand stage a few feet away. My stomach churned violently, and if I wasn't constantly inhaling his comforting scent, I would've thrown up right then and there from the guilt coursing through my body.

The guest speaker introduced the CEOs that donated to the non-profit organization that was hosting the ball, and Nathaniel was one of them. His eyes instantly found mine the moment he turned and faced the crowd but then slowly flickered over to his empty seat as if he knew it wasn't empty a few minutes ago. I forced a small smile on my face when his eyes slid back in my direction, and he sent me a quick wink before turning his attention back to the guest speaker who called his name.

The crowd—mainly the women, cheered wildly as Nathaniel received an award I didn't even know he was getting for being the largest donor in this building tonight amongst other millionaires and billionaires. The guest speaker tried to get him to say a few words as he handed him the beautiful glass plaque, but Nathaniel shook his head and nodded stiffly at the crowd one last time before disappearing behind the velvet curtain that led backstage.

Many other men and women received awards after him for other important things, but all I could focus on was trying to act as normal as possible before Nathaniel got back and sniffed out the nervousness seeping out my pores. Fifteen minutes passed, but he was still missing, making me even more fidgety. The award ceremony had ended not too long ago, and I watched as the crowd of elegantly dressed people slowly began to make their way onto the grand ballroom floor, swaying to the beat of the soft music with their dates.

I slowly slid my sweaty palms down my dress and stood up, wanting to get a little bit of fresh air, but as soon as I turned around to leave, there Nathaniel was, standing a few feet away from me in all his handsome glory. A sinking feeling crept up in the pit of my stomach as many unrecognizable emotions flickered across his beautiful face as if he already knew every single detail about my meeting with Luther, but the following words that came out of his mouth took me by surprise.

"Would you like to dance?" He asked lowly, coming close and sliding his suit jacket off my body so that my dress could be seen again. He trailed his fingers down my arm in the process, leaving goosebumps in its path.

I nodded quickly, not being able to find my voice as I took his outstretched hand, allowing him to lead us to the grand floor, further away from everyone else.

"Congratulations," I finally whispered, wrapping my arms around his neck once we were facing each other.

His eyebrows raised in confusion. "For what?" He murmured, snaking his arms around my waist, pulling me closer.

"Your award," I reminded him.

"Mm, that."

"Why didn't you tell me about it?"

He shrugged. "Wasn't important."

"Well, either way, I'm proud of you," I whispered, peering up into his crystal eyes.

Nathaniel gazed down at me lovingly and leaned forward, capturing my lips with his. The kiss was urgent but sweet, as if he was trying to comfort me for whatever reason. Silence captivated our little bubble as we swayed to the soft music once we broke away, and in that moment, I wanted nothing more than to tell him everything that happened to get it over with, but the timing wasn't right. I needed to do this when we were alone, away from prying ears.

"Something's wrong," he mumbled, tightening his arms around my waist. "What happened?"

"Nothing," I lied easily, forcing a small smile on my face, but he knew me too well.