Chapter 22

"Nonna, you're back early!" I gushed, embracing the small woman in my arms as soon as she entered the front door the next morning. Even though I haven't known Nonna for a long time, she was already starting to feel like the mother I never had.

"Oh, Tesoro, I've missed you!" She cooed as she kissed my cheeks. "Paffuto treat you well?"

"Of course, Nonna," I lied casually, following her into the beautiful living room.

Good, good, or I would shove my foot up his ass."

"Nonna!" I gasped, trying to hold in my laughter.

She giggled and covered her mouth with her hand while looking around to make sure Nathaniel wasn't anywhere near to hear what she just said.

"So, what are your plans for today?" I asked casually, desperately needing something to keep my mind busy. Since last night, I haven't seen Nathaniel. Apart of me was avoiding him, afraid he'd be back to his usual brooding narcissistic asshole ways, which is why I needed something to keep me distracted.

"Gardening, you will join me?"

Fuck yes.

"I'd love to, Nonna."

She nodded vigorously and began rolling her seemingly light suitcase to her room. "I be back in ten minutes; meet me in garden."

That gave me enough time to change out of my nightclothes and into casual clothing that I didn't mind getting dirty. I pulled my wild curls into a bun and threw on the visor I wore to the golf course yesterday. Afterward, I opened up the laptop and checked a few emails before heading back downstairs.

"So, how was your trip, Nonna?" We were now in the enormous garden digging deep holes in the dirt to plant her flowers and vegetables in.

"Eh, hotel rooms so stuffy," she complained, fanning her face as if dust particles were surrounding her.

I gave her a confused look but continued digging. "Nonna, you were in Greece, weren't you at a resort?"

"Ah, sì!" Her face lit up in remembrance. "Greece, wonderful trip."

"Nonna," I narrowed my eyes. "You did go to Greece, right?"

"Sì, sì, of course, Greece," she nodded and handed me a watering can to soften the dirt, but I rested it on the ground to look her in the eyes.

"Where were you really?"

Nonna sighed and scanned the garden making sure it was just the two of us. "Hotel in the city," she confessed with a small smile.

"Nonna!" I gasped. "Why were you at a hotel? What happened to Greece? Did your friends cancel on you? You know you could've called--"

"No, no," she shook her dark peppered locs. "No cancel, I just lied."

"Wait, I'm confused."

Nonna placed her gloved hand on top of mine and gave me a warm smile. "There was no Greece trip; I lied to get out of the house."

Okay, now I'm really confused.

"Why would you want to get out of the house? Did something happen?"

She shook her head again. "For you."

What? "For me?"

"Sì, you and Paffuto."

Me and Nathaniel? Why would she want to leave the house just to have me and Nathaniel be alone together?

Nonna sighed and grabbed the hand shovel to continue digging. "You know you're first female Paffuto ever bring to this house?"

"Oh gosh," I groaned, remembering my conversation with Stella. "Not you too; Stella told me the same thing."