Chapter 43

My entire body ached, from my back all the way down between my legs, a clear reminder of what happened last night. I turned around uncomfortably, expecting Nathaniel's spot beside me to be empty as usual, but to my utter surprise, he was still there sleeping soundly like a baby.

His long lashes brushed over his cheeks, and his lips were parted slightly tempting me. I scooted closer and caressed his soft cheek wanting to stay in bed with him forever.

"Good morning," he murmured, brushing his lips against mine, eyes still closed.

"Morning," I whispered back in surprise, wrapping my arms around his neck and closing the small space between us.

He groaned and pulled back, nuzzling our noses together.

"Don't you think it's a little too early for extracurricular activities?"

"Never," I smiled, peering up at him in adoration.

The corner of his lips curled upwards as he gazed down at me, and it was the first time I'd ever seen him smile.

"Why don't you smile often?" I breathed, brushing my thumb against his lips in amazement. "It's a good look on you."

"I had no reason to before," he whispered, wrapping his arms around me and nuzzling his head in the crook of my neck.

"And now?"

"I can think of a few."

Heat crept up to my cheeks, and I was suddenly grateful that he couldn't see my face.

"I was surprised you were still here when I woke up," I mumbled as I weaved my fingers through his thick locs.

"I didn't want to leave you again."

"You know, eventually you'll have to go back to work, right?"

The place I don't work at anymore.

"Mm, I can work from home."

"Well, unlike you," I began, untangling our bodies and sitting up against the headboard. "I don't have a job any more thanks to my boss so kindly firing me, so I have a lot of work to get done starting with these emails."

Nathaniel sighed heavily and sat up next to me, pulling me onto his lap with my legs positioned on either side of him.

"I actually wanted to talk to you about that," he murmured, remorse evident in his bright eyes.

I wrapped my arms around his neck and tilted my head to the side, hoping to hear good news. "I'm listening."

He unconsciously slipped his hand under my shirt and began rubbing small circles along my back, and as soon as he opened his mouth to speak, his phone rang loudly, interrupting him.

Nathaniel's face immediately dropped, and all the traces of the loving and caring man I'd grown to like vanished.

"Creed," he snapped irritably as he pressed the phone against his ear but continued the gentle motions on my back.

"I'll be in the kitchen," I mouthed as I tried wiggling out of his grasp, trying to give him some privacy, but he shook his head, tightened his arm around my waist, and began peppering small kisses along my neck and collar bone.

I bit my lip to stifle the moan that threatened to escape my throat, not wanting the person on the other line to hear.

"Tell him to have the contract written up by the time I get there, or the deal is off," Nathaniel growled before hanging up and tossing his phone back on the nightstand.

"You have to go," I whispered, feeling my heart sink, not expecting him to leave so soon.

He clenched his jaw and nodded. "Come with me."