Chapter 56

"You're all dismissed," Nathaniel said casually before walking out the room as if he didn't just drop a bomb on all of us.

The six board members sitting diagonally from me shifted uncomfortably in their seats as they digested the news that was just thrown on them. The other employees were already on their phones, most likely spreading the news around to their friends, and I knew by the end of the day, all 50,000 plus employees working at Creed Industries would know about Nathaniel and me.

I opened my mouth to say something—anything, but nothing came out. Instead, I rushed out of the room without a second thought and kept my head down until I made it to my office. My hands were trembling as I reached for the doorknob, and it wasn't until I was actually inside my haven when the trembling subsided.

I've always hated attention. It most likely stemmed from not getting any from my father growing up, so that just stuck with me as I got older, and everything I've done since then, whether it be a business move or a personal move I've tried to do behind the scenes.

Now, thanks to Nathaniel, by this time tomorrow, every news and social media outlet will be buzzing about the two of us, and just that thought alone was enough to send my heart racing at an uncontrollable speed.

"Breathe amore mio," Nathaniel's low voice whispered from behind me, startling me out of my skin. He wrapped his muscular arms around my chest using the method I showed him to help calm anxiety attacks.

Despite the immense amount of anger I had for him at this moment, I couldn't help but feel safe and comforted in his arms. My breathing instantly evened out, and as soon as I felt well enough to speak, all that rage I felt before came crashing down like a ton of bricks.

"What the fuck was that?" I growled harshly, attempting to free myself from his grip so I could smack the shit out of him, but he tightened his arms around me, making it impossible to escape.

"Calm down."

"Calm down?!" I screeched, wondering where he was finding his audacity. "You want me to calm down after what you just did?"

"Let me explain."

"Let me go first."

"If I let you go will you hit me?" he murmured in my ear, skimming his nose down my cheek

"Is that even a question?"

"Then no."

I let out a frustrated sigh as I tried to escape his death grip one more time but, it was no use; I was stuck until he was ready to let me go.

"Why would you do that?" I finally asked lowly, dropping my head in defeat.

Nathaniel slowly loosened his arms, testing the water to see if I was going to do anything rash and when I didn't, he let go of me entirely and whirled my body around so that we were facing each other. My eyes stayed glued to the floor, afraid that if I looked at him, I'd lose my will to stay angry.

"Anastazi," his voice was low and comforting.

"What?" I snapped through gritted teeth.

"Look at me."

"No."

"Anastazi." My name rolled off his tongue like butter forcing my eyes to meet his, and in an instant, I felt my anger slipping away, but I wasn't going to let it go that easily.

"I specifically told you I wanted—"

"I did it for you," Nathaniel finally answered. His crystal eyes penetrating my soul.

My face scrunched up in confusion, and I could feel my anger slowly coming back due to his absurd answer. "For me? How the hell did that shit benefit me?" I asked harshly. "You weren't there to see the disgust plastered on the board member's faces. I'd be surprised if I still have a job by the end of the day, no thanks to you."