Chapter 1

"That's the only solution, I'm afraid," my accountant informed me with a dejected look on his face.

We were sitting in my office as he broke the most life-changing news to me.

"No. I refuse to believe that's the only option," I snapped back.

I was literally living my worst nightmare. Apparently, my father, who was CEO of Faye Industries, had been having some financial issues for a while now due to his gambling problem. I always knew he gambled, but I never knew it was this bad to the point where our entire company would have to be bought out.

To say I'm embarrassed and infuriated would be an understatement. Of course, my now deceased father had to leave me with his mess to clean up, even in his grave.

"I'm sorry, but this is the only way," my accountant explained, tearing me out of my train of thought.

I closed my eyes and pinched the bridge of my nose. "Who's the buyer?"

"Creed Industries."

My eyes immediately shot open. "Over my dead fucking body."

There was no way on God's green earth I would allow this company that my dad worked so hard for to be bought out by our rival company.

All the nights I spent home alone when I was younger would've all been for nothing, all the school events he missed for this damn company would've all been for nothing, missing my high-school and college graduation would've all been for fucking nothing if I let this deal happen.

My mother died after I was born, so she was never in the picture; it has always been my father and me.

He missed out on my entire life building this company up. And as much as I loathe him for not being the father I always wanted, the father I always needed, I couldn't let this happen; I owe this to my younger self to make sure I continue my father's work, only better.

"Miss Faye, I'm afraid you have no other choice. Once Creed Industries buy you out, they will appoint you as their new secretary. I'm sorry, but that's the best I could do. Your father dug a bottomless hole that even I can't get you out of," he further explained as he began placing documents in front of me.

"I would rather work at McFuckingDonalds before I work for that narcissistic bastard," I spat, slamming my fists on the desk.

My accountant flinched back and adjusted his circular frames. "The documents I placed in front of you basically state that you agree to Creed Industries buying you out, and if you work with them for two years as their secretary, they will issue a loan for you to be able to build Faye Industries back up again."

That caught my attention. "So if I work for him for two years, I'm one hundred percent guaranteed that loan?" I asked slowly.

He nodded. "That's correct."

I've always had problems with putting my pride aside because of how strong-headed and confident I am. But one thing I know for sure is when I've been beat, like in this case, for example.

If I work for Crap Industries for the next two years, I get to buy back my company and finish my father's work. Even though being demoted to a secretary will probably be worse than a breakup, I'm willing to stick it out for the sake of my sanity. I would not be able to live with myself if I walked away from this opportunity and let Faye Industries be bought out forever.

"Where do I sign?" I asked in a defeated tone.

My accountant smiled as he pointed to several lines on the documents in front of me.

"Creed Industries expects you to be at work tomorrow at 6 AM sharp; someone will be there to give you more information. Don't give up on this company; you will get through this," he said gently as he gathered up the signed documents placing them in his briefcase.

I smiled faintly and thanked him for his kind words as I escorted him out of my office. Leaning my head against the door, I sighed and thought about what the hell just happened. I cannot believe I basically just signed my life away for the next two years.

Tomorrow will be the beginning of my new reality, and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't anxious. I've always hated change, and this change will be the biggest adjustment of my life, but I'm going to uphold my end of the deal and do whatever it takes to get my company back, even if that means signing my life over to the devil himself.

--