Chapter 5

As I was rushing out without looking, I stumbled face-first into a brick wall.

"I'm beginning to think you enjoy bumping into me." A familiar voice whispered in my ear as their large hands snaked around my waist, steadying me once again.

"And I'm beginning to think you enjoy touching me," I whispered back playfully, looking up to meet Carter's sandy brown eyes.

He chuckled softly and released his hold on me. "So you're Thee Anastazi Faye."

"Why are you saying it like I'm famous or something?" I asked as blush crept up to my cheeks. Why the fuck am I even blushing?

"Trust me, everyone in this building knows who you are." He informed with a wink.

"Well, that's embarrassing," I mumbled, reaching behind him to open my office door.

"Don't tell me you're the shy type after I just heard you going off on Nate back there." He laughed as he followed me in, making himself comfortable in the spare chair I had in front of my desk.

Nate? I thought all of his employees were supposed to call him Boss or Sir.

"How are you able to get away calling him that?" I asked curiously, sitting down.

"Ah, me and the big guy go way back to college days," Carter explained, running a hand through his chocolate hair giving me a good view of his muscular arm.

I scoffed, thinking about my interaction with Nathaniel. "Wow, I wasn't aware he actually had the capability to make a friend."

"He's not as intimidating as he makes himself out to be. Once you get to know him, you'll see he's a giant teddy bear," Carter smirked.

I almost choked on my spit. "I highly, highly doubt that."

"So, I was wondering," he began. "Are you free this weekend? Me and a couple of friends are going out for drinks, and I would love for you to join us."

I haven't been out for drinks with friends in over a year, so this territory is very foreign to me.

"I'll have to pass on that; I kinda have a date that night with a book," I explained, shrugging as I casually scrolled through my phone, avoiding eye contact. I always hated rejecting people for some weird reason.

"C'mon, just one drink, and if you still aren't feeling it after that, I will personally take you home to your date," he replied, bending his head down to catch my eyes.

Maybe it is time to get out of my introverted shell; it has been a year after all. One drink out with a couple of his friends wouldn't hurt even though I would much rather be in bed reading Twilight or something.

"One drink?" I asked, peering up from my phone.

"One drink," Carter confirmed with a swift nod.

I pinched the bridge of my nose and sighed. "When and where?"

"9:00 PM Friday at the bar Phoenix a few miles from here," he answered with a triumphant smile.

"By the way, if I do end up not enjoying myself, you will not be taking me home. You're still a stranger to me, so don't push it." I warned, sliding out of my chair to walk him out.

He chuckled softly as he got up to open the door. "You've bumped into me like what? Ten times today?—"

"Twice." I interrupted, rolling my eyes at his joke.

"So I'd hardly call myself a stranger," he continued playfully.

"Bye, Carter."

"So I'll see you this weekend?" He asked, looking back at me through hopeful eyes.