Chapter 45

Stella, Theo, Carter, and Gabrielle were already waiting for us in the private section of the restaurant with drinks placed in front of them.

"Look who finally decided to show up," Stella announced loudly as we slid into the wide curved leather sofa booth.

Nathaniel unconsciously leaned into me and rested his hand on my thigh like he usually does before turning his attention to Stella.

"We're not staying long."

"Ugh, you guys are no fun," Stella rolled her eyes and took a sip of her wine.

"Why are we here anyway?" I asked the question we were all wondering.

A huge smile stretched across Theo's face as if he couldn't wait to share something with the rest of us.

"Tell them, babe," Stella nudged Theo, but he shook his head.

"It's your news, honey-bun, I think you should tell them."

"Are you sure, love-bug?"

"Can one of you just fucking tell us?" I snapped impatiently, glaring at the annoying couple in front of me.

"Okay, Okay, we're getting married!" Stella squealed as she pulled her left hand from underneath the table and wiggled her fingers so we could see the beautiful princess cut diamond ring on her finger.

My mouth dropped to the floor, Carter's eyes widened in surprise, Gabrielle gasped, and Nathaniel's stone-cold face remained the same.

"Oh my god, it's beautiful," I whispered in shock, grabbing her hand to get a better view of the glimmering rock.

"Isn't it?" She giggled. "Theo took me completely by surprise with the proposal, but it was so magical and perfect."

"I'm so happy for you guys," I smiled up at the glowing couple and squeezed Nathaniel's hand that was resting on my thigh, silently telling him to say something.

Nathaniel cleared his throat and nodded his head at Theo and Stella. "Congrats."

I rolled my eyes at his lack of enthusiasm, but I guess it was better than nothing.

Once the food we had ordered arrived, Stella dived into the romantic details of the proposal, from the moment she had no idea what was going on to when she said yes. As happy as I was for her, I couldn't help but feel an overwhelming amount of disappointment flood through me.

It seemed as if everyone else around me was moving forward in life while I was the only one moving backward. And the hardest pill to swallow was knowing that it wasn't anyone else's fault but my own.

"I need to go to the bathroom," I mumbled quickly, feeling nauseated at my own thoughts.

"Do you need me to come with you?" Nathaniel asked lowly, releasing my thigh from his grasp.

I shook my head and slid over his lap to exit the booth before slowly making my way towards the nearest bathroom. I didn't actually need to use it; I just needed to get away from the stifling cheerful atmosphere and gather myself.

I didn't want to be that friend that ruins a happy moment because I was having problems of my own, so removing myself from the group was the best alternative.

Luck seemed to be on my side, seeing that the restroom was completely empty when I walked in, giving me a few minutes of peace and quiet. But it was soon interrupted by a voice I hadn't heard in a while but completely recognizable.

"Oh my gosh," the voice gasped. "Aren't you Nate's secretary?"

I slowly lifted my head from the sink to find Bianca, one of Nathaniel's ex-whore's standing a few feet away from me, wearing a bright pink mini dress that barely covered her ass and left her breasts spilling over the top. Her hair that was now platinum blonde instead of red was cut short, hanging just below her chin, accentuating her long face.