Chapter 73

As soon as I pulled into the grand parking lot, a small gasp escaped my lips when I saw the huge bold letters on the front of the building that read: Gallery Of Phoenix.

It turned out exactly how I envisioned it, and the fact that the workers got it finished within the small time frame I gave them at the very last minute was even more impressive. I tried not to think about whether Nathaniel would show up as I parked in the furthest parking spot away from the building, but as soon as I unbuckled my seatbelt and looked up, there Nathaniel was walking alongside Carter towards the entrance. He wore an all-black tight-fitted suit with silver loafers and a silver Rolex, or what looked like one from this distance. His hair was slicked back neatly, leaving a strand hanging loose in front of his face like he usually does.

I ducked low behind the steering wheel when he suddenly whipped around as if he knew someone was watching him and when the two finally disappeared into the building, I slipped out of my car and walked towards the back of the glass building where I could see everything going on inside but still remain invisible to everyone else. I planned to go in later, but for now, I wanted Nathaniel to enjoy this time with his family without any interruptions from me, someone he didn't care to see as of right now.

"Are you not going inside, Ms. Faye?" Frank's voice came from behind, startling me slightly.

I shook my head and sat down on the stone benches, watching as he did the same. "This night is about celebrating Isabella and her life with his family; it has nothing to do with me."

"But you are family," he spoke softly. "You deserve to be in there; this night would not have been possible without you."

Tears pricked my eyes, and I had to tilt my head back to keep from smudging the little makeup I did have on. "Nathaniel and I aren't on the best of terms right now—"

"Because you haven't told him the truth."

"And I will, once all of this is over, but for now, I'm fine with watching from the background." I turned and smiled at Frank, assuring him that I was okay. "You should go inside now; you're family too."

He squeezed my shoulder as he stood up and smiled back. "I'll come back to check up on you again."

"Thanks, Frank," I whispered, touching his hand that was on me.

He nodded before disappearing around the corner to walk into the building I haven't had the courage to go into yet. I watched as Nathaniel's family huddled in the main area, waiting to surprise Nathaniel whenever he walked in. I even spotted Nonna in the very front standing beside Antonio, Luca, Giovanni, and Maria. Stella, Theo, and Gabrielle were off to the side holding confetti blasters, and everyone else that I didn't recognize were close family and friends to Nathaniel that I hadn't had the pleasure to meet yet.

Somehow Frank managed to slip inside before Nathaniel and Carter, which meant they would be walking in any second now that everyone was accounted for, except me.

A few more minutes passed, and finally, the doors flung open, and as soon as Nathaniel and Carter slowly walked in, Stella, Theo, and Gabrielle released the confetti as everyone yelled in unison, "We love you, Isabella!"

Nathaniel's eyes widened for a fraction of a second before his face returned normal. Nonna was the first to give Nathaniel a hug, and in seconds a small smile snuck onto his handsome face as he embraced the small woman before him. Nonna was his weakness; he'd do anything for her, which is why I needed her to be the first to greet him so his guard could be let down as soon as he walked in.

His cousins, Antonio, Luca, and Giovanni, were the next members to greet him, and I watched as he rolled his eyes, most likely from one of Luca's lame jokes. It warmed my heart seeing him surrounded by loved ones that could bring even the smallest smile on his face on this tragic day, and that was all I ever wanted.