Chapter 12

The rest of the drive was ridden in silence, giving me time to hatch a plan to get back at him.

We passed by many farms, vineyards, and acres of land before finally coming up on the most beautiful estate I've ever laid my eyes on.

The entire mansion was surrounded by giant green sequoia trees. To the side of the massive structure was a cute mini pond and in the back was a garden filled with colorful flowers of all sizes. As we drove up the paved driveway, a grey granite water fountain with a family crest carved in the middle of the stone came into view. The fountain was surrounded by recently trimmed shrubs creating the perfect square with the fountain placed right in the middle.

Nathaniel parked the car in the parking garage beside the mansion before strolling over to open my passenger door.

"When did you get manners?" I scoffed exiting the sports car.

"Nonna," Was all he said as I followed him to the entrance of the grand palace.

"Benvenuto, a casa, signore!" A few landscape workers called out to Nathaniel as we walked by. (Welcome home, Sir! ) He nodded towards the men but said nothing, as usual. The closer we got to the entrance, the more nervous I became.

What if his family is like him and doesn't like me? I always thought of myself as a likable person, but what if I was wrong? These types of thoughts circled my brain up until the front door opened, revealing a short beautiful old woman who looked to be around her 70's. Her long shiny black hair cascading down her fragile-looking shoulders was streaked with grey causing a peppered effect throughout her locs. She, too, had the same striking blue eyes as Nathaniel and Stella, which clearly ran in the family. Her features resembled Stella's with her high cheekbones and rosy cheeks that matched the color of her small lips.

"Oh, mio bellissimo nipote quanto mi sei mancata moltissimo!" She gushed, embracing Nathaniel's massive figure into her tiny arms. (Oh, my beautiful grandson, how I have missed you dearly.)

"Matteo si è preso cura di te?" Nathaniel asked, gently kissing the woman's cheek. (Has Matteo been taking good care of you?)

"Si si, and who's this beautiful young lady behind you? Girlfriend, yes?" She asked through a thick Italian accent, shifting her attention towards me.

"Oh no, Nathaniel's girlfriend is back home," I smiled, stretching my hand to shake hers. "I'm Anastazi Faye, Nathaniel's business partner; it's a pleasure to meet you."

Instead of shaking my hand, she pulled my arm and embraced me tightly, just as she did Nathaniel. The smell of her sweet floral perfume instantly made me feel relaxed and at home. "Call me Nonna," she said with a warm smile. "It's pleasure to meet you." I could tell we would get along perfectly.

"Paffuto, you no tell me you have girlfriend in states," Nonna scolded her grandson as she welcomed us into the mansion.

"I have no such thing," he answered, glaring down at me.

Inside the manor were large white pillars lined up on either side of the wall adding to the first floor's open concept. The mansion was very Victorian like with its tan walls and red wallpaper with splashes of turquoise. Two sets of wooden spiral staircase wrapped around the entrance leading to the second floor while various family members' pictures were littered on almost every house wall, which was definitely Nonna's doing. Maybe when I get time alone, I'll find a few of Nathaniel's old pictures.

"Come, come I show you to room, breakfast will be ready soon," Nonna informed us, leading the way up the staircase and into a wide hallway. We passed by many rooms before stopping in front of a set of large white double doors.