Chapter 49

My heart sunk to the floor the moment my brain processed what she said, and it felt like someone suddenly knocked the wind out of my body.

Nathaniel stiffened beside me, and it took everything in me not to pull him aside and demand an explanation, but I didn't because he had more than enough time to explain himself when I asked if there was anything I should know. But apparently, her being his ex-fiancé wasn't important enough.

What made me want to puke my insides up was hearing her call him by his family nickname, which meant I wasn't the first female he brought to the family home—she was.

I could feel Nathaniel's eyes penetrating the side of my head, but I didn't dare look up because if I did, I would've smashed my fist against his face hoping to at least injure him slightly.

"Mr. Creed, your table is ready," the greeter at the front door announced, interrupting the reunion.

I happily brushed past Nathaniel's broad figure, following the greeter inside the restaurant, and out of the corner of my eye, I saw him reach out for me, but he dropped his hand soon after, choosing against his decision.

"So who's the pretty lady?" I heard Emma whisper to Nathaniel from behind me, thinking I was far away enough to not overhear their conversation. "Your girlfriend?"

"No," Nathaniel's low voice answered almost too quickly. "She's just my secretary."

As much as I hated to admit it, hearing him say that stung more than I expected even though it was the truth. I don't know why I expected him to lie like he did in Italy when he told everyone I was his wife despite it being for a totally different reason.

But what bothered me the most was the way he said it as if I was nothing more to him than just another brainless female at his beck and call.

"How unfortunate," she chirped brightly, the tone of her voice contradicting her words.

Deep down inside, I wanted to turn around and leave without so much as a goodbye, but I chose to stay to see how things would play out.

Nathaniel already knew the trouble he was in, which is why he placed his hand on my thigh the moment we sat down at our table, but I was quick to brush him off and scoot my chair further away from his vile touch.

The moment he confessed his feelings, I thought things between us would be different, but I was wrong. With Nathaniel, it's always one step forward and two steps back.

After we ordered our drinks, Emma turned her attention to me with that same annoying bright smile, making me want to punch her in her perfect teeth.

"So," she started. "What would your name be?"

"Stazi," I gave her my best smile and stretched my hand out to shake hers. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Emma."

"The pleasures all mine," she winked, locking her soft hands with mine. "So are the two of you dating?" She asked again, oblivious to the fact that I already knew she asked this question, but clearly, she didn't trust Nathaniel's words.

I giggled softly and shook my head. "Me and him? Absolutely not. I could never date someone as narcissistic and deceiving as Mr. Creed."

I emphasized the two words purposely, and out of the corner of my eye, I saw Nathaniel's nostrils flare and a vein protruding from his neck threatening to pop out as he gripped the table with so much force his knuckles turned white.

Emma laughed loudly and clapped her hands. "He's definitely not the relationship type, hence why I'm his ex-fiancé."

Before I had the chance to say more things that would be sure to anger Nathaniel further, his husky voice sliced through the air like a bullet.