Chapter 33

Nathaniel slammed the door in my face before I had time to challenge his shocking words. All the tears I'd been holding back poured down my face as I stumbled out of the mansion blindly, the tears blurring my vision.

I knew the consequences of saying what I said to him, but someone needed to say it, and I was glad it was me despite losing everything I'd been working so hard for over the past year.

A part of me regretted mentioning his mother; I knew it was wrong and out of line, but I wasn't thinking. I allowed my emotions to take control over me—over my words, but it was too late to take it all back.

Through all the chaos, I somehow managed to make it back to my penthouse in one piece physically, but emotionally, I was a wreck.

I had an ear-splitting headache from all the tears I've cried since leaving his house, and all I wanted to do was sleep. I trudged into my bedroom and threw my purse on the floor before shifting my eyes to the clock sitting on my nightstand as I flopped lazily on my fluffy bed. It was well after 3 AM, but it didn't matter because I wouldn't be waking up for work tomorrow anyway.

Another wave of rage flowed through my veins as the realization hit. Not only was I out of a job, but my company was done as well, the same company I poured my blood, sweat, and tears into.

And in the blink of an eye, it was all taken away from me.

Even though Nathaniel had no probable cause to fire me, I knew he would make something up for the board to believe, so there was no point in fighting it—fighting him. He won, and I was just going to have to accept that no matter how hard it was.

My eyes fluttered shut as I thought about what my next business move was going to be, but my body was too exhausted to figure out a solution. I sighed heavily as I greeted the darkness with open arms, thankful to finally get a break from my current reality.

~

By the time I woke up the next morning, it was nearing 3 PM, and I had no desire to get out of bed. After staring up at the ceiling for an hour, processing the events that took place last night, I forced myself to get up and shuffled into the bathroom to take a quick shower.

Around this time, I'd be at work with Carter in my office, talking my ears off as I tried to get his work done but the end of the day. I never imagined I'd actually miss those little moments that seemed so unimportant at the time, but here I am. As I dragged my feet across the marble floor leading into the kitchen to grab a bag of chips and a bottle of wine, I allowed my thoughts to wander elsewhere, specifically to him.

Tears pricked my eyes as I continuously replayed his words in my head, "You're fired." My stomach churned with uneasiness, and I suddenly felt nauseated as if I was going through a bad break-up.

Did he regret firing me? Was this just some rash decision he made in the heat of the moment? Or did he actually mean it?

So many questions circled my brain as I plopped down on the velvet sectional in my living room, turning on the TV and scrolling down to Netflix. I couldn't remember the last time I had a day to myself between my work with Nathaniel and Stella, constantly trying to spend every moment making memories with me and the others.

As soon as I snuggled into my blanket with a glass of wine in my hand and chips on my lap, getting ready to feel sorry for myself as I drown my existence in Grey's Anatomy, the elevator dinged, alerting me that I had a visitor on their way up. No more than ten seconds later, the doors slid open, revealing Stella's small frame. Her arms were crossed against her chest, and I immediately knew I was about to get bombarded with questions just by the look on her face.