Chapter 69

Somehow I made it all the way back upstairs without crying, but as soon as I entered his room with his lingering familiar scent, tears instantly began to fall down my face. I allowed myself to cry until it was time to get ready for my first day of work, where I'll be running Creed Industries for an entire month. My stomach churned violently the entire time I got ready, but I did my best to reassure myself that everything was going to be okay, and if I needed anything, Nathaniel was just a phone call away.

Once I put the finishing touches on my makeup, I grabbed my purse and made my way downstairs, not caring to eat breakfast, seeing that I was already running late, and as soon as I opened the front door, Frank was in the driveway standing in front of the limo holding a tray of muffins in one hand and a cup of coffee in the other.

"Good morning Frank," I sighed as I locked the door and made my way towards him, eyeing the food in his hand.

"Good morning Miss Faye; these are for you."

Frank waited until I was sitting comfortably in the limo before handing me the breakfast items.

"Did he put you up to this?" I asked wearily once he slid into the driver's seat.

Frank chuckled and adjusted his chauffeur hat before buckling up and starting the limo. "Mr. Creed knew you'd skip breakfast."

"Well, you can tell Mr. Creed that I can take care of myself."

"I'm sure you can," Frank smiled, glancing back at me through the rear-view mirror before turning his attention back to the road as we made our way out of the grand estate.

Knowing Frank would report back to Nathaniel if I didn't eat, I quickly stuffed the muffin into my mouth and downed it with the delicious iced coffee. Then, using the little time I had left before arriving at Creed Industries, I swiped through my email on my phone, looking through the PDF Files Nathaniel forwarded over to me, seeing which meetings I'd have to attend today. So far, I saw only two, which eased my anxiety a bit. As expected, Dylan was the first person to greet me as soon as I stepped out of the limo after saying goodbye to Frank.

"Is it true you're gonna be the boss until Mr. Creed comes back?" Dylan whispered with a huge smile on his face.

I rolled my eyes playfully and laughed. "Yes, I am, which means you're going to have to be me until he gets back."

He nodded eagerly. "Yes, ma'am, I'm channeling my inner Anastazi as we speak."

"I knew I was right, picking you for the job."

Dylan beamed at my compliment as he walked alongside me into the massive building and all the chatter that was going on in the lobby instantly ceased once I stepped foot inside. All eyes we suddenly trained down, looking at their computer screens, phones, and papers as if they were that interested in them before I walked in.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel powerful seeing them give me the same respect they give Nathaniel, and all the anxiety that had built up over time vanished.

"All hail the queen," Dylan grinned once we were inside the elevator away from prying ears.

I sent him a quick wink then put on my poker face once the elevator doors slid open on our floor. Just like the lobby, everyone's eyes snapped down to their work as if I would fire them if they dared to look up at me.

"As you all know, Mr. Creed appointed Miss Faye as the acting CEO while he's away, so if anyone has any further questions, you run them by me now," Dylan announced firmly before I had a chance to say anything. Everyone nodded in unison and got back to work, and it wasn't until we were inside Nathaniel's office when I heard the soft chatter resume.