Chapter 34

The car ride to the Carnival was spent with Stella apologizing profusely and talking nonstop about her and Theo and how she couldn't wait to see him despite hanging out before arriving at my penthouse. I didn't hear most of what she said because I was too deep in thought, replaying his words in my head. The words that changed my reality and purpose in life.

"See, aren't you happy you came?" Stella nudged my shoulder as we handed our Carnival tickets to the employee working at the ticket booth.

"Ecstatic," I mumbled, voice dripping with sarcasm.

It was one of those warm California nights, and I couldn't deny that it felt good feeling the warm breeze blow through my hair, instantly calming me down.

The smell of popcorn and hotdogs wafted into my nostril as we made our way into the Carnival. Colorful pop-up shops were lined up on either side of the wide boardwalk filled with adults and children wearing hat balloons, carrying stuffed animals they won at one of the booths, and couples holding hands admiring each other through googly eyes.

All of the rides were located at the very end of the boardwalk. A huge colorful Ferris wheel was placed in the very center, and next to it was a roller coaster just as tall as it.

If Stella thinks I'm getting on that, she's as crazy as she looks. Jesus himself would have to come down and persuade me to get on that death machine.

The Carnival was littered with many other fun rides like Bumper Cars, a Carousel, Condor, Evolution, and other ones I would not be participating in. I was fine being the designated item holder for the rest of the group, as long as my feet were planted safely on the ground.

"Where do we start?" Stella squealed, twirling around to get a 360 view of the park.

I ran a hand through my hair and scanned the wide-area, knowing there wasn't one ride I was willing to go on.

"Bumper cars sounds like a good start," Theo suggested as he adjusted the thick frames on his face.

Stella looked over at Carter, and Gabrielle who gave her a nod of approval, then shifted her eyes towards me.

I shrugged, wanting to get this night over with.

"I'm fine with whatever."

Stella squealed again and began skipping happily towards our destination as the rest of us casually followed her. Theo wrapped his long arm around her shoulders and smiled down at his excited girlfriend before placing a small kiss on her cheek. Carter and Gabrielle were not far behind them, engrossed in their own conversation as I trailed slowly behind all of them.

As we continued walking, I suddenly got this eerie feeling that we were being followed. I quickly whipped around and scanned my surroundings taking in the little kids dancing with corn dogs in their hand, the couple to the left at one of the booths trying to win a stuffed animal, and everyone else minding their own business trapped in their own little happy bubble. Nothing looked out of place.

I sighed and shook my head before jogging to catch up to my friends. I had to be going crazy; why would someone be following us anyway?

"Wait, where do we put our bags?" Stella looked around as we stood outside the gate that led to the bumper cars.

"I can hold them," I offered casually, stretching out my hand.

Stella narrowed her eyes. "No, you're here to have fun, not stand around holding our bags; we can just put them on the ground and hope no one steals it while we're gone."

I rolled my eyes. "Seriously, Stella, let me hold them; I get motion sickness anyway."

"Fine," she huffed. "But you're going on the next ride, no excuses."

"Sure thing, mom," I smiled sweetly as she handed me her purse.

"Are you sure you don't want to go?" Gabrielle whispered, clutching Carter's arm. "Because the two of us can stay back if you want."

Carter nodded in agreement.

"Really, I'm fine; go have fun guys, I'll get on the next ride."

"Are you sure?" Gabrielle asked again with a sad look on her face.

I gave her a reassuring smile as I nodded. "Positive."

As soon as they left, leaving me alone behind the gate, that eerie feeling returned, sending a chill down my spine. I spun around again, scoping the area, once, twice, but nothing seemed out of place; no one seemed to be paying me any mind, so why was I feeling this way? As if someone was watching me specifically. I shook off the weird feeling again and did my best to take my mind off of it.

As promised, Stella dragged me onto the next ride, which was The Pharaoh's Fury. And it's safe to say I'll never be getting on that ride again.

"I think I'm gonna be sick," I mumbled as soon as I planted my feet on solid ground.

Carter laughed and slung his arm around my shoulder. "It wasn't even that bad."

"Speak for yourself." I scoffed, shoving him off of me, which caused Gabrielle to giggle.

"Okay, what's next?" Stella clapped, twirling around to face us.

"Roller coaster!" Theo cheered with a huge smile on his face.

Carter and Gabrielle nodded eagerly, but I shook my head. No way was I getting on any other ride after that.

"You guys go on; I think I'm gonna sit this one out."

"But this is the best one yet," Stella pouted.

"Nope, I'm fine right here on solid ground," I shook my head, not giving in to her puppy dog eyes. "I have to use the bathroom anyway, so don't wait on me."

Stella sighed in defeat. "Fine, we'll be at the hot dog stand if we're not there when you get back."

"Roger," I saluted before backing away to find the nearest bathroom.

I didn't really need to use it; I just needed a good enough excuse to escape before Stella dragged me onto that death machine. As I continued down the boardwalk alone, shuffling through the deep crowd, I couldn't help the shiver that ran down my spine again, the same feeling I got the previous times.

Could it be Nathaniel? I shook my head. That's impossible. He'd have no reason to follow us—me. He made it clear he wanted nothing to do with me after I was fired, so why was I getting this feeling that I was being watched by someone I know?

Jason?

Another shiver ran down my spine as I thought about Jason and my traumatic encounter with him. It seemed so long ago, yet I remember every single detail that happened that night, down to the color of his undershirt.

I was so deep in thought I didn't notice the dark figure following closely behind me as I rounded a corner in hopes of finding the bathroom, but it ended up being a dead-end instead. As soon as I turned around to go back to where I left my friends, a large hand suddenly clamped over my mouth, muffling the blood-curling scream I released.

"Miss me?" A painfully familiar voice whispered in my ear as their heavy body pressed me against the cool brick wall.

--