Chapter 78

"I'm not going in there," Nathaniel stated in a finalized tone once we made it to the destination of the date I had planned for us.

I glared over at him, my arms crossed against my chest. "You promised."

"And I intend on keeping my promise but can you choose something else, love?" he mumbled, leaning over the armrest to kiss me, but I leaned away, pressing my back against the door so he wouldn't be able to reach me easily.

"No, if you don't want to do this, that's fine," I grumbled, turning around and opening the door. "I'll just text you when I'm done."

"Anastazi--"

I slammed the door before he could finish his sentence and immediately smiled once my back was facing him as I walked towards the building. I knew he was going to give in and follow me sooner or later, wanting to keep the promise he made despite not being interested in what I planned.

As soon as I walked into the building, I was greeted by the front desk attendant around my age with emerald green eyes and short black hair stuffed in a baseball cap that matched the color of her uniform.

"Welcome to Paradise Lanes," she greeted with a bright smile. "How many will be in your party today?"

"Just one," I smiled, sliding her my card.

"Two," Nathaniel corrected from behind of me as he reached over and swiped my card off the counter, replacing it with his. "And we'll buy shoes."

"Coming right up," she choked out after we gave her our shoe sizes, never taking her eyes off Nathaniel until she disappeared into the back room.

"Fancy seeing you here," I raised my eyebrows as I turned around to face him, smiling.

"A promise is a promise," he sighed heavily, raking his fingers through his hair. "And if this is what'll make you happy, then so be it," he murmured, leaning down and pressing his lips against mine, creating butterflies in my stomach.

"Your shoes," a small voice squeaked awkwardly from behind us, and when I turned around, I saw the attendant standing there, her face blood-shot red from witnessing our kiss.

"Thank you," I chirped as if nothing happened.

Our bowling lane ended up being at the far end, away from everyone else, just how Nathaniel liked it. After slipping my shoes on, I made my way to the rack that held all the bowling balls and grabbed the first one I saw with one hand, not realizing it was on the heavy side. As soon I picked it up, my arm immediately dropped down, and if it weren't for Nathaniel rushing to my side to grab the ball out of my hand, I would've dislocated my shoulder easily.

"Christ, Anastazi," he growled, setting the ball back on the rack before gently grabbing my arm to make sure it was okay. "Have you ever bowled before?"

"Yes," I huffed, holding my hands out as he gave me the lightest ball. "I went with Stella and Carter awhile ago; I just forgot which one to pick."

He narrowed his eyes as he picked up one of his own. "Be careful."

"Yea, yea," I mumbled, walking up to our lane and lifting the ball directly in front of my face before swinging my arm back and releasing it with all my might only for it to roll directly in the gutter instead of knocking some or all of the pins down.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Nathaniel drop his head briefly as his body shook with laughter at my failed attempt.

"I'm just warming up," I lied, angrily storming in his direction and plopping down on the cushy seat next to him.