| 15 |

꧁꧂

꧁꧂

Third Person POV:

SCREAMS ECHOED THROUGH the halls of the HYDRA base. The expressions of pain belonging to none other than Bucky and Charlotte Barnes.

The captured men are transported back into their cells, the 107th among them.

Dugan is pushed inside the cell, his hat being knocked off by the guard. He rolls his eyes in irritation.

He fits his hat back onto his head. "You know, Fritz, one of these days I'm going to have a stick of my own." He sizes the guard up, smirking at the thought.

The guard closes the door, double-checking to make sure it's locked.

While this occurs, Charlie pants as she and her brother recover from their third and final injection.

She could clearly tell that it's night fall, the moonlight shining from the dirty window.

Thoughts run through her head. 'Why are these people doing this? What's in the shots? Why does it hurt so badly? Are they going to kill us? How's my regiment? Where are they? Is James okay?'

The list goes on and one. The thoughts are similar to Bucky's.

What the siblings didn't know, was that behind the scenes, HYDRA plans to turn them into lethal weapons that would cause destruction for decades. HYDRA was going to erase their memories, leaving them only a blank of what they once were.

"Their vitals remain normal. It is a success, doctor." One of the HYDRA scientists informs Zola.

Said man has a smile on his face, resembling a Cheshire cat.

"Excellent. Give them an hour before we start the procedure. Is the machine ready?"

"Nearly. They are only tweaking it slightly. Besides that, the chair is ready."

Zola nods to the information he is given, dismissing the man.

As promised, an hour later the two siblings are being drug down the hallway and into the lab.

They are only half conscious, not taking in their surroundings. Their eyes are droopy and semi-closed, their bodies beaten up.

"J-James? Where are you?" Charlotte gains some sort of knowledge, having just enough energy to lift her head up and search around her.

"Char?" Bucky has tears leaking down his face, matching Charlie's look.

"I love you."

"You too." Is all Buck responds with, not having the strength to complete a full sentence.

That's the end of the conversation. They finally arrive at the lab, both the siblings being shoved in chairs.

Each chair has a type of signification of who they belong to. The chairs are both fairly similar, only a few things different about them.

Charlie's is a dark shade of green. The color closely resembling tree leaves after being struck by the rain. The leather is new looking, and the black straps are bold in color and strength. The shiny metal hanging over the chair is the scariest part. That's the part that does the damage.

Bucky's has a more masculine look to his. The chair is bigger and more bulky than Charlie's. The color of the chair is a rusted red, but the chair itself is very fresh looking. By a quick glance, people would say his chair sends more chills down their spines than her chair.

The scientists start to get to work. Either strapping down the two Americans, or writing down information before they get started with the procedure.

"The date is October 23, 1943. The two prisoners were captured three days prior, the date being the 20th of October. The two subjects, 054 and 055, have both been injected with enhancing serums. This is the first wiping ever preformed. We are going beyond just the male gender, a female amongst the subjects. We will proceed." Arnim Zola reported in his tape, it being better than all of the American technology due to HYDRA's enhancements.

The sound of machines whirring echoes through the room, electricity sparking in the air.

The device to remove memories lowers down on each of the subject's heads.

Charlie begins to whimper at the feeling. Bucky stays silent, very weary of the situation.

Without warning, the machine fires up and sends pulses of electricity into their brains. This process could resemble as frying the brain.

They both scream out in agony, shouting out in protest. The screams were so loud that they could be heard from all the way in the cells.

The torture continues for several more minutes before the machine whirs to a stop, raising above their heads.

The siblings convulse from the shocks that still reside in them. Scientists remove the binds from their arms, but they still remained seated.

Thoughts run through their heads and spread like wild fire. 'When was my birthday? Why can't I remember my birthday? Why does the alphabet miss a few letters, I thought there were 26 letters? What number comes after 346?'

It's the simple questions that can no longer be answered, and that made fear blossom in both the American's chests.

They were both removed from their chairs, and dragged back to the isolation ward.

After being tied down to the metal table once again, everyone leaves the room, the two siblings being the only ones left.

"Hey, Buck?"

"Yeah, Char?" Bucky pants out to his sister.

"Are we going to be okay?"

"I don't know," he answers honestly.

She sighs in response, resting her eyes. It remains in silence for only a minute before the male of the two, speaks up.

"Did you start forgetting stuff too?"

"Yeah."

"I'm scared." He admits, feeling foolish.

"Me too, but it's going to be okay. Everything will be okay, we just have to wait."

"For what?"

"Someone to save us."

• • •
Author's Note: blahhh, that's depressing! But the next one gets a lot more cheerier, so I guess that's okay.
- J.S.

1. 12. 2021
Published: June 24, 2021
968 words