| 21 |

1945
Age twenty-eight

1945Age twenty-eight

꧁꧂

GOD KNOWS HOW long it's been. That stupid hanging light hasn't stopped flickering, irritating me beyond reason.

They haven't been down here since they put me and Bucky in these cells.

Buck woke up, or at least that's what I believe. He hasn't responded to anything I've said.

Click. Click. Click.

The sound of the light gets to the point of overwhelming anger.

I pick up a bloody bone that lies on the ground, hurtling it between the bars and at the light.

I hit my target. The light stays on, its glow bright.

Only, after a few seconds, it begins to flicker again.

I groan, throwing my head back.

"Bothered, are we?" A voice croaks from somewhere. I snap my head to the sound, trying to find the source.

"Cell #49," the voice guides. I crane my head to see who's talking.

I only spot a shadow that hangs in the hall. Maybe they can answer something.

"Hey, hey. Who are you? What are they keeping us down here for? Are you a prisoner? Are you hurt?" I listen off one after another.

The voice chuckles, the sound sending shivers down my spine. Not the pleasant kind.

"So many questions." The voice drones, brushing their hand along the metal bars to make a rhythmic noise.

"Here's an answer: HYDRA." Okay, dude, I already knew that but thanks.

I sigh, giving up.

"No comments? Hey, where'd you go?" The voice sounds worried when I didn't answer them.

"Yeah, thanks. I'm here."

They laugh loudly. Not the sweet melody, but more of a cackling cough. What was so funny?

"Oh sweetie, I know you're here. They all are until they just... disappear." They go into another fit of laughter.

"Hey? Hey! Where'd you go?!" I don't answer, staying silent. He's too sketchy, creepy. "HEY! I'm talking to you! Answer me!" He starts banging on the bars erratically.