| 84 |

꧁꧂

꧁꧂

THE QUINJET LANDS in front of the Avengers facility in Upstate New York. I take in the view, pinpointing all of the immediate exits.

Steve opens the hatch, waiting for it to touch the ground before walking forward. He holds his hand out by his side.

I recognize the gesture, slipping my hand in his and squeezing it comfortingly.

Natalia is on our left, Sam behind us, still holding Vision up with Wanda. I had already offered to take Wanda's place, being a Super Soldier and all.

I walk down the long hall with Steve, Nat, Sam, Vision and Wanda by my side. We are on the ground floor, the space was open and bright. It was made mostly of concrete and widows.

At the end of the hall is the sight of Rhodey- who looks all healed up from his death fall that I had caught him from- and Secretary Ross- who is only a hologram here. Both of which, want us five fugitives- excluding Vision- arrested.

"And you have second thoughts?" Ross tilts his head cockily, trying to use his power and status against the Avenger.

"Not anymore," Rhodes snips back at the Secretary.

A beeping noise alerts them of our presence.

We walk to the end of the hallway, stopping by the top of the stairs and leaving enough room between us and them.

"Mr. Secretary," Steve greets gruffly. Even through all this, he still holds his politeness, even for men like Ross.

"You got some nerve. I'll give you that." Ross walks closer to us, but I don't even flinch. He's not really here, what can he physically do?

"You could use some of that right now." Natalia's voice is elegant and final, leaving no room for waver.

Ross turns to me, eyes narrowing into small slits. "And, you. What makes you, of all people, think you can waltz in here alongside them and not expect any consequences?"

"Oh, I expect consequences, Mr. Secretary." I smile at Ross sarcastically, faking it like a Barbie doll.

He rolls his eyes, turning back to Rogers.

"The world's on fire. And you think all is forgiven?" Ross stares at Steve intently, looking at the veteran like he is insane.

"I'm not looking for forgiveness. And I'm way passed asking permission." Steve is stern and confident. The man who is a born leader. Oh how Steve Rogers had changed since 1935. "Earth just lost her best defender. So, we're here to fight. And if you wanna stand in our way... we'll fight you too." Steve is now right in Ross's face, staring him down.

Ross turns slowly to Rhodes, grunting, "arrest them."

"All over it." Rhodey's voice has a playful tone. A lie.

Rhodes waves his hand in front of him, making all of the holograms disappear, ending the virtual call.

"That's a court-martial," Rhodes jokes, but not really. "It's great to see you, Cap."

The two men share a hand shake. "You too, Rhodey." Rhodes chuckles, turning to Natalia.

"Hey." He hugs Nat with one arm. He brings his arm back, slapping his side.

"My savior," Rhodey jokes as he turns to face me. I smile at the African American man.

"You look good," I compliment.

"All thanks to you. I probably wouldn't be standing here, breathing, if it wasn't for you. I thank you, Agent Barnes."

"Charlie," I correct. He nods, smirking. He then turns his gaze to the whole group.

"Wow. You guys... really look like crap. Must've been a rough couple years."

"Yeah, well, the hotels weren't exactly five star." Sam says, his voice only slightly whiny as he remembers all of the uncomfortable nights.

"Uh, I think you look great." We all snap our heads to the voice. Dr. Bruce Banner walks wearily into the room. "Uh..." He chuckles awkwardly. "Yeah, I'm back."

"Hi, Bruce."

"Nat."

I look between the two suspiciously. Something happened between Bruce and Natalia.

"This is awkward," Sam murmurs under his breath. Vision looks over to him, shaking his head slightly.

I move closer to Bruce slowly. "Banner," I greet. I had heard what happened during Ultron. I didn't want to set him off.

"Char." Bruce looks shocked and confused. But then a smile breaks out on his face as he gives me a hug. "It's good to see you. What happened to you?" He's talking about my disappearance in 2012. He apparently hasn't been caught up.

"I was kidnapped by HYDRA a few days after the Battle of New York. I was their little pet for a little while longer until Steve saved Buck and I. Me and Bucky hid for a while until my brother got accused of bombing Vienna during the signing of the Accords. After all of that shebang, Bucky stayed in Wakanda whilst I was on the run with these lovely three." I motion to Steve, Sam and Nat.

He nods, face still confused.

"I'll explain in better detail later, but right now we have more important matters to discuss." I redirect the conversation.

"Right. Let's move to a more quiet room." Bruce and Rhodey lead us to a less open and smaller room. It was more homey.

I look at Steve, raising my eyebrows, asking a question silently. Are these people okay? Can I trust them?

He just nods.

• • •
- J.S.
7. 7. 2021
Published: July 27, 2021
895 words