| 87 |

꧁꧂

꧁꧂

VISION LAYS FLAT on the table in Shuri's lab, letting the teenager scan his body.

"Whoa," Bruce is amazed by the Wakandan technology.

"The structure is polymorphic," Shuri observes.

"Right, we had to attach each neuron non-sequentially." Bruce explains what they did when creating Vision.

"Why didn't you just reprogram the synapses to work collectively?" Shuri asks. Everyone turns to look at Bruce. I raise my eyebrows. I understood the conversation but didn't at the same time.

"Because, we didn't think of it." Is Bruce's lame answer.

"I'm sure you did your best." I smile at the girl.

"I told you she was smart," I play on to my team. Shuri smiles at me.

Only some of us were inside, leaving the rest on the outside of the building, watching over. Bucky was one of the ones outside. Steve was inside.

"Can you do it?" Wanda questions Shuri.

"Yes, but there are more than two trillion neurons here. One misalignment could cause a cascade of circuit failures. It will take time, brother." She turned to T'Challa, who was thinking hard.

"How long?" Steve inquiries. I turn my attention to him. His face is serious and his sleeves are rolled up. His hands grasp his belt buckle.

"As long as you can give me." The moment the sentence flowed through Shuri's mouth, the kimoyo beads trilled as an alarm started beeping. I raise my head to the sound, becoming extremely alert.

"Something's entered the atmosphere," Okoye explains gravely.

"Do we know what?" I feel like we already know the answer to my question.

"Thanos," Bruce responds.

"Hey, Cap, we got a situation here." I hear Sam say through the ear comms. I take a deep inhale, walking to the window to see what it was.

Something was hurdling through the sky, aiming for the city. It hit the protective dome with a big boom. It exploded into a fire ball.

"God, I love this place." I hear my brother say.

"Yeah, Buck, I may just come live with you for a while." I comment.

"Yeah, don't start celebrating yet, guys." War Machine calls on the radio. "We got more incoming outside the dome." Dozens of the same things hit the ground on the outside of the dome, destroying the land.

Steve and T'Challa look at each other, a knowing look being shared between the two. Steve moves to my side. He grabs my hand, turning me to face him. I understand the look in his eyes too well. I nod to him.

"It's too late. We need to destroy the stone now." Vision stands weakly from the table, holding his side.

"Vision, get back on the dang table." I point aggressively at the medical table.

"We will hold them off." T'Challa starts to walk out of the room, preparing his kingdom for the fight.

"Wanda, as soon as that stone's out of his head, you blow it to Hades." Steve instructs.

"I will," she replies. I turn to her, giving her a reassuring look. Natalia walks up to me, grasping my hand and squeezing tightly. She was scared.

"It will be okay," I promise her. Nat shakes her head. I pull her into a hug quickly but gently.

"Evacuate the city. Engage all defenses," T'Challa orders. He turns around, pointing to Steve. "And get this man a shield."

Steve snaps his head to the man, eyes widening only slightly. He nods to the king, the king nodding back.

Steve walks over to me in a rush, pulling me into a bone-crushing hug. "Please, stay safe."

"As long as you will too," I remark. He shakes his head, pulling me into a passionate kiss on the lips. We don't pay any mind to the audience we may have. All we focus on is each other. "I love you," I say as I pull away from him.

"I love you too."

"Hey, uh, guys, your lines are still on." Sam speaks up.

"Yeah, and I really didn't want to hear my best friend kiss my sister." Bucky speaks up, disgust in his voice. "But I'm happy for you two."

"Thanks, Buck."

"Can we focus on the fight that's about to happen?" Rhodey asks us, the question more of a demand. "But congrats, guys."

Some Wakandan hands Steve two hand-held shields. I attached them onto each arm, watching them retract into his suit.

"Cool. I need to get me some of this tech."

"Char, later." Steve inputs. I roll my eyes at his strictness. Pulling in a breath, I flick a switch in my brain as my mind goes blank. My face turns neutral, showing no emotion.

Steve watches all of this happen, a look of concern on his face.

"Don't worry, Captain. Now, let's go win this fight."

• • •
Author's Note: except they don't.
- J.S.

7. 8. 2021
Published: July 27, 2021
813 words