| 49 |

꧁꧂

꧁꧂

THE TWO HAD been sent out on another mission.

Annihilate the targets.

Apparently, HYDRA had let Captain America and Black Widow escape. Meaning, the assassins had to go after them again.

Maleficent flew towards the Triskelion, the Winter Soldier in her arms. Her powerful wings held the both of them up without a problem.

"HYDRA is compromised. Report to the Triskelion immediately." An agent in their comms announces, causing Maleficent to fly faster.

Neither with a mask, Maleficent drops the Winter Soldier as they fly over the air strip.

The Winter Soldier takes his launcher, firing at the planes that were planned to be used.

Maleficent takes off, assuming he has that covered.

Spotting one of her targets and Sam Wilson, she flies up to them both. Just as she kicks Steve down, Maleficent grabs Sam. She drags him down, slamming him into the ground.

"Steve, I don't like your girlfriend!" Sam shouts.

Maleficent tilts her head before deciding to ignore what he said. Aiming her rifle, she fired at his wings. If she can take those out, she has him.

As soon as she rips off one of the wings, the Winter Soldier pushes him off the Helicarrier.

Maleficent nods to the Soldier before taking off.

She flies to where Pierce is, busting through the window with a gun in her hands.

"Oh, right on time." Alexander smiles as the asset aims her gun at Natasha.

But what he didn't know was that Maleficent wasn't about to pull the trigger.

Natasha stared down at the remote in Pierce's hand and Maleficent moved her gaze down to it.

"Lieutenant, how much longer?"

"65 seconds to satellite link."

Maleficent kept her gun pointed on Romanoff and Fury. Her mind hadn't been made up yet.

"Where are the targets?"

Maleficent turned her head to Pierce, waiting for something to happen.

"What a waste."

"You still on the fence about Rogers' chances?" Romanoff speaks up arrogantly.

"Time to go, Councilwoman. This way. Come on."

Maleficent aimed her gun while he was distracted at the remote, firing and hitting dead on.

Fury's and Romanoff's eyes widened but nevertheless picked up their guns and aimed at Pierce.

"What are you doing?!" Pierce looked at Maleficent, betrayal evident in his expression.

"I'm done taking orders from you. It's over. You're done." Maleficent moved her gun to point at Pierce's chest. "It's my turn now." She fired two shots.

Maleficent watched as her handler bled to death, finally leaving this world for good.

She turned to the two other people in the room. Before they could even speak, she was out the window again.

Her eyes scanned for the Winter Soldier, knowing that these three Helicarrier things are going to be blown up soon.

They had to get out of here. For good.

In the air, she flew to the highest Helicarrier. She hadn't wasted another minute to bust through the glass.

Hearing grunting down farther, she ran through debris.

There, pinned down by a large piece of metal, was the Soldier.

Captain America stood over him, trying to pull the heavy object off him.

Maleficent ran over. There was fear in his eyes; Something he never really showed. She lifted the thing off easily with the help of Rogers.

The Winter Soldier scrambled out from underneath it. The two let it drop once he got out.

"You know me." Steve spoke to the both of them when he said it.

"No, I don't!" The Winter Soldier denied, slamming his metal fist into Rogers.

Both men were bruised and bloody. Their fighting was sloppy from exhaustion.

"Bucky. You've known me your whole life."

The Winter Soldier shouts as he backhands Steve with all he got.

Maleficent just watches the two men brawl tiredly, not knowing what to think. All she knew was that she didn't want either of the men to die.

"Your name is James Buchanan Barnes."

"Shut up!" The Winter Soldier screams emotionally, giving Rogers another hit.

Maleficent stands between them, seeing enough.

"This isn't going to solve anything!" Maleficent faced the Soldier. "Winter. We can just leave. Pierce is dead. He can't control us anymore. Steve is no longer our target!"

The Winter Soldier shakes his head, denying her words.

He pushes past her to get to Steve.

"I'm not gonna fight you." Steve drops the shield. "You're my friend."

The Winter Soldier slams into Steve, pinning him down. "You're my mission." He then proceeds to slam his fist into Steve repeatedly.

"Then finish it. Because I'm with you til the end of the line."

The words affect them both.

Maleficent pulls the Soldier off of him. "Winter! No!" Her words don't go through to him. "Bucky!" She calls desperately.

He pauses, eyes focusing on her.

"Yes. Your name is Bucky."

"And your name is Charlie. You're my sister." The Winter Soldier face breaks as his eyes crumple.

The information is new to Maleficent, but she nods along to not let the Winter Soldier slip again.

"And he is Steve. Our friend. And we don't want to hurt him anymore."

The Winter Soldier's face contorts.

Before any of them can act, the glass breaks, sending Maleficent and Steve falling down.

Maleficent tries to catch air in her wings, but with all of the debris falling down with them, she just ends up damaging her wings.

So, they were falling.

• • •
- J.S.
6. 21. 2021
Published: July 13, 2021
905 words