| 7 |

1941
Age twenty-four

1941Age twenty-four

꧁꧂

"STEVE, YOU IN there?" I knock on his apartment door.

I haven't seen him in three days, and that is very unusual for us. Especially when Bucky is gone. He's still at training and is coming how in one week.

Silence answers me and I go and grab the key under the brick.

I open the door and start calling for Stevie. I search through the apartment and see no Steve.

I walk into his bedroom and find poor Stevie wrapped in multiple blankets with a red blotchy face.

"Oh, Stevie." I murmur, moving over to his bedside. He is sleeping soundlessly, sniffling every few seconds.

I run my fingers through his hair. I check his temperature with the back of my hand, and immediately take my hand back from the burning fever he has.

I deem it best for him to sleep, as I make him some soup. The ingredients are scarce, but I use just enough to feed only him.

I take the bowl over to the sick boy, and place it on the nightstand beside his bed.

Starting to shake Stevie awake, I take some of the covers off of his heated body.

Steve startles awake, trying to hit at me, thinking I'm an intruder. I grab his hands in mine, calming him with my words.

"It's okay, Steve. It's just me. Sorry I startled you." I apologize, handing him a wet rag for his forehead.

"A warning would be nice next time, Charlie. You nearly gave me a heart attack."

"Sorry." I mumble, handing him the soup.

He sighs, taking it gratefully. "Thank you. Sorry, you just scared me is all." His Brooklyn accent is clearly heard in his voice, showing the sincerity in what he said.

"Just eat your soup." I start off lightheartedly.

He smiles and complies.

"Heard anything from Buck lately?" He asks me, leaning back on the headboard and moving his feet to leave room for me to sit.

I take the spot appreciatively, watching him eat.

He glances at me, seeing I have no food. He holds out the spoon, offering some to me.

"No, thank you. Even though I have a good immunity system, I don't want to risk it. Someone has to pay the bills."

He shrugs, and takes another spoonful.

"So when were you going to tell me about you being ill?" I question the fragile boy.

"It's just a cold."

"With you, it's never 'just a cold'." I deadpan, running my fingers through his hair. He leans into my touch, my temperature soothing his scorching one.

"I'm sorry I didn't contact you. I just didn't want you fussing all over me like you usually do. I can take care of myself." He straightens himself to look bigger and less weak.

"'Sall right. Just let me know next time. You had me real worried. We got to stick together, you and me."

He grins at me, finishing his bowl of soup. I take the dish, washing it in the sink and placing it on the drying rack.

"Now get back to bed, I will be here when you wake up." I place my hand on his face, relieving the heat.

"Thank you for looking after me Charlie-girl." There it is, his nickname only he calls me.

I smile in a motherly way. "Always, Stevie."

I watch him drift back into his state of tranquility, before I continue to work around the apartment.

• • •
Author's Note: just wanted to show y'all what it was like when it was just the two of them. A whole bunch of flirting.
- J.S.

12. 30. 2020
Published: June 21, 2021
613 words