| 56 |

February 2015

꧁꧂

THE MEMORIES CAME faster every day, every little thing setting off another one. Charlie enjoyed every second of it, always writing in her almost-full journal.

The downside of all of her memories coming back is the bad memories. And that leads to nightmares.

Charlie gasps as she springs up, sitting up by her elbows. Her chest rises and falls rapidly. Her eyes focus from its blurriness.

Bucky sits a few feet away from her, his eyes filled with worry.

He stays away for a few seconds longer, making sure Maleficent stayed in the back of Charlie's mind before approaching.

"You okay?" He sits right next to her pallet on the floor. Charlie's eyes watch every movement he makes.

She nods her head, not responding verbally.

Bucky stared at Charlie, not liking her behavior.

This happened frequently between the two of them. One would have a nightmare and the other would be there when they woke up to comfort them.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Bucky questions quietly.

Charlie stares at the ground, her eyes unwavering. No response.

Bucky sighs, but takes the silence as a sign to stop asking questions. She needed him to be there for her, not ask questions.

He would be there for her.

——————————————

"Do you think I could contact Steve?" Charlie asked out of the blue. The two had just returned to their apartment from lunch.

"I don't see why not. Just don't use your name or say where we are. And I want to read over this letter before you send it out. I can't have my baby sister sending some stuff to any man."

"It's Steve," Charlie protests. They trusted Steve.

"Still a man."

"Tell me about it," Charlie muttered. Bucky turned around to glare at her, but she was already tearing a piece of paper from her notebook.

Dear Steve,

I'm okay. We both are. There is no doubt in my mind, if you are the man we remember you as, you will be looking for us both.

You don't have to. We're fine. We're safe, for now.

I got a job down the street at a coffee shop. He thinks it's the best coffee he's ever had. Probably because the only coffee he's had is the stale, bland crap that was made in the 1900's.

Anyways, I'm sorry that we haven't contacted you yet. It's just now that we are almost fully comfortable walking down the streets of where we live. You don't have to respond to this letter, you can't if you wanted to. I'm not attaching an address.

We remember. Not all of it, but I think he remembers most, and I remember a little over half... I think.

Just wanted to check in and let you know we're alright. We miss you. I miss you.

From,
C-g

Charlie folds the piece of paper, shoving it in her pant pocket. "I'm going to go mail this."

"And you're sending it where?"

"Avengers tower in New York."

——————————————

A week later, Steve had just entered the tower, taking the elevator up to his floor.

"Hey, Cap. You have mail." Tony Stark hands Steve the poorly-closed envelope. The white was stained a browned green.

Steve tilted his head. "From who?"

"How am I supposed to know? There's no address attached to it. I was going to open it, but I'd rather not have an angry Super Soldier after me." Stark hands Steve the envelope before returning to his work shop.

Steve takes the envelope to his room, setting it down on his desk. He pulls out the chair, taking a seat.

He opens the envelope slowly, taking out the slightly-crumpled paper inside.

He read the letter.

Leaning back in his seat, Steve tried to decipher who it was from. He had a really good idea, but had no idea how to confirm.

The only thing that pointed to who it was, were the details that matched and the signature.

C-g

Charlie-girl

• • •
- J.S.
6. 23. 2021
Published: July 16, 2021
679 words