| 42 |

2014
Age ninety-six

2014Age ninety-six

꧁꧂

IT HAD BEEN two years since HYDRA had gained back Subject 054. She had been more obedient than ever before, besides the occasional talk with the Winter Soldier.

Him and her had grown close once again, acting as if their lost time was equal to nothing.

Maleficent was sat in front of the scientists, letting them prod at her wings that she spread out for them.

"Are these bulletproof?" A scientist looks up from his glasses.

Maleficent nods her head.

"Flammable?"

Maleficent shakes her head.

"Are they strong?"

Maleficent nodded.

"How strong."

"Very." That one word sends shivers down the doctor's spine.

The scientists continue to work in awkward silence. Maleficent does not register the awkwardness, sitting with a blank mind and an equally blank face.

"Does this hurt?" A scientist stabs a knife into her left wing, watching the skin repair itself in seconds.

But it hurt.

Maleficent muffled the scream behind a closed mouth, breathing harshly through her nose. But she did not restrain. She let them continue the work, continuing to be obedient.

The door to the lab opens, Alexander Pierce marching through with a serious expression on his face.

The Winter Soldier follows behind Pierce like a lost- but deadly- puppy.

The Soldier eyes Maleficent, noting the blood on her but no wounds, worriedly. The worry is erased from his face in under a second.

They could not show they cared. That would lead to consequences, to punishments.

"I have a mission for you two. A Level Seven. He has a clearance level of 10." Pierce hands the assassins each a yellow folder.

Maleficent takes hers, opening it.

File 872648

NAME: Nicholas
SURNAME: Fury

DATE OF BIRTH: July 4, 1950
PLACE OF BIRTH: Huntsville, Alabama

RACE: African American
AGE: 64
HEIGHT: 6'1''
HAIR: Bald
EYES: Black-brown

EMPLOYMENT: Director of S.H.I.E.L.D.
LANGUAGES: English, unknown

STATUS: Alive

"His status is alive. I want you to change that. I don't care if there are witnesses. We are sending several agents out before you, but because he is of such a high level, we'll send both of you after them. Eliminate him. I don't care how, just do it."

Maleficent and The Winter Soldier nod simultaneously, leaving the lab hurriedly.

"So, how was your week?" He speaks in a hushed voice, knowing they weren't allowed to speak.

It wasn't rare for the two to see each other while they were awake, but it wasn't an everyday thing either.

"Eh," is Maleficent's response. "Yours?"

"It was okay. I got to train with Rumlow two days ago before he left for a mission."

"Oh yeah? You put him on his butt?"

"Worse."

"Good."

The two continue to walk in silence. It was comfortable, unlike the silence in the lab.

"You have to get a haircut," Maleficent comments on the Winter Soldier's longing hair.

It was greasy, and it was getting in his eyes. Therefore, a liability.

"Right. I'll just go up to Pierce and be like 'hey boss, I need a trim. Got a pair of scissors?' Because that won't get me put in the chair." The Soldier's words are full of sarcasm.

"I'm just saying," Maleficent murmurs. Two other agents pass them, causing the assassins to switch into emotionless drones.

They wait for the agents to turn the corner before picking up the conversation again.

"So, this Fury guy. What do you think he did to make Pierce want him dead so badly?"

"Probably mis-sewed a button on his tux jacket," Maleficent jokes, but her tone fully serious.

"Let's just make sure this mission gets complete, or he'll have both of our heads."

"Yes sir."

• • •
- J.S.
6. 19. 2021
Published: July 13, 2021
620 words