| 9 |

1942
Age twenty-five

1942Age twenty-five

꧁꧂

SHAKING MY HEAD at the two boys' idiocy, I smack them both upside the head.

"What were you two thinking?! Coming to my work, and almost making me lose my job! That is unacceptable, and I want an apology." I growl at the two as we walk down the sidewalk.

I had to take off work early because these two idiots decided to visit me, and it's cute that they thought of me, but it's not when they ruin the shop!

"We're sorry, Charlie-girl. We didn't mean to cause so much trouble for you." Steve apologizes.

I sigh, calming down from my angry high.

"Yeah, we didn't mean to." Bucky pitches in.

"It's fine guys, just don't do it ever again. I can't keep up with you two, keep you both fed and well, and be able to pay the bills." I fuss, rubbing my forehead with two fingers.

My two boys hold guilt in their eyes, not meaning to upset me.

"But it's fine." I dismiss. "No more worrying over that now. What have you two been up to today, besides the obvious."

"Well Bu-," Steve gets cut off by Bucky.

"Steve tried to enlist again!" Bucky snitches on his best friend. Stevie shoves Buck, not really moving the man when he does.

"How many is this now?"

"Only three." Steve mutters, almost inaudible.

"Only? You know what you're doing is illegal?"

"I know, but I gotta keep trying."

"Or just give up? Maybe you can help Charlie with paying the bills?" Bucky suggests, completely over Steve trying to enlist in the army.

"It's fine Buck. Steve, you should do what you want to do." I reassure him, gaining a roll of the eyes from Bucky. "Don't give me that sass, Buchanan." I scold, smacking him upside the head.

We make it back to mine and Buck's apartment. Us three instantly plop down on the couches, cooling down from the weather and crowds.

"So Steve, let's talk about your ambition to fight in the war." Bucky crosses his arms, and I my legs. If some were mistaken, this would like a kid being sat in a principal's office getting scolded for their actions.

The blonde exhales, not wanting to bring it up again.

"Guys, we have talked about this. I want to help my country. People are laying down their lives, I have no right to do any less than them." Stevie proves a point.

"There are more ways than fighting on the front lines."

"Buck is being sent out on the front lines at some point, I don't see why you both aren't making a fuss about that."

"Because Buck and you are different."

"Just because I can't lift my own weight, or handle the kick after shooting a gun, or run a mile without having an asthma attack doesn't mean I have to be different."

"Stevie, you must understand what we mean." Buck exasperates, cradling his head in his hands.

"I'm going home. I'll talk to you two tomorrow." Steve slams the door on his way out.

"You had to bring it up?" I question, looking over at my brother. He just shrugs, sipping his drink.

• • •
Author's Note: so I'm seeing there are reads, but I haven't published this yet and I'm confused. If you are reading this before I publish this, please comment so I can fix whatever I'm doing.

This is June 21st me. Can anyone explain what happened?
- J.S.

12. 30. 2020
Published: June 21, 2021
589 words