| 85 |

꧁꧂

꧁꧂

"SO WE GOTTA assume they're coming back, right?" Rhodey questions after we tell him the alien encounter we had. Bruce also had several encounters with the aliens. A guy named Thanos.

"And they can clearly find us," Wanda adds.

"We need all hands on deck. Where's Clint?" Bruce looks around like the man would pop out of thin air.

"After the whole Accords situation, he and Scott took a deal. It was too tough on their families. They're on house arrest," Natalia explains, her arms crossed in front of her. This is a serious matter.

"Who's Scott?" Bruce inquires, still not fully caught up

"Ant-Man," Steve introduced.

Steve stands by a wall in the room, farther away from me than I would like. But there was no way I was moving from my spot by the window. It was the best exit in the room.

My arms are by my side as I stand close to the wide window. My fingers twitch the closer it gets to the holstered gun on my thigh. I was prepared for the worst.

"There's an Ant-Man and a Spider-Man?" Bruce looks at Steve, wide-eyed.

Rhodey and I look at each other. He bounces his head, thinking it over. "Weird," I murmur.

"Okay, look. Thanos has the biggest army in the universe and he is not gonna stop until he... he gets.. Vision's stone."

"Then we have to protect it." Nat is final with her decision. I could tell she thought of everyone in this room as family. And she protects family.

"No, we have to destroy it."

I snap my head to Vision, my eyes widening a quarter. That'd be a one-way ticket.

"I've been giving a good deal of thought to this entity in my head. About its nature. But also its composition. I think if it were exposed to a sufficiently powerful energy source, something very similar to its own signature, perhaps... its molecular integrity could fail."

"Yeah, and you with it. We're not having this conversation." Wanda moves closer to Vision, caressing the side of his face.

"Eliminating the stone is the only way to be certain that Thanos can't get it."

"That's too high a price." Her voice gets quieter by every sentence. With my super hearing, I could still tell what the conversation was.

"Only you have the power to pay it." Wanda walks away, turning her body away from us. He sighs, continuing with his speech. "Thanos threatens half the universe. One life cannot stand in the way of defeating him."

"But it should." Steve's voice startled me slightly, his deeper than the others. The deep and raspy sound of it familiar and comforting. "We don't trade lives, Vision."

"Captain, seventy years ago, you laid down your life to save how many millions of people? Tell me, why is this any different?"

My eyebrows crease as I think about what Vision just said. Steve could have died. I wasn't there for him. I could be living today without my Steve.

I shake my head from my thoughts, getting back into the important matter at hand.

"Because you might have a choice," I defend Steve. Banner nods to me, pointing a finger.

"She's right. Your mind is made of a complex construct of overlays. Jarvis, Ultron, Tony, me, the stone. All of them mixed together, all of them learning from one another."

"You're saying Vision isn't just the stone?" Wanda is only a little bit confused, not understanding all of the technical talk.

"He's saying that if we take out the stone, there's still a whole lot of Vision left. Perhaps the best parts." I explain as best as I can.

"Can we do that?" Natalia questions, looking between Bruce and I.

"Not me, not here." I nod my head in agreement with Banner.

"Well, you better find someone and somewhere fast. Ross isn't just gonna let you guys have your old rooms back."

My back straightens as I run over all of the possible scenarios. My eyes skip to the window, checking for any signs of any agents. I just see woods.

"I know somewhere." Steve catches my attention. He's giving me a knowing look. I smile a little bit, knowing exactly where he's thinking.

I get to see my brother.

• • •
- J.S.
7. 8. 2021
Published: July 27, 2021
728 words