| 5 |

1939
Age twenty-one

1939Age twenty-one

꧁꧂

"JAMES! JAMES! LOOK at this! Have you heard? Germany attacked Poland!" I showed the two boys on the sofa the newspaper in my hand.

Bucky takes the paper, getting a closer look. "We haven't joined yet, but it sure won't be long. We'll start rationing soon, and most likely be in the war. But I sure ain't planning that any time soon."

Steve puffs out his chest as a way to look more masculine.

"Nu-uh! No way! Don't you dare get any ideas, the both of you! I don't need you two going off into war, not yet." I fuss, becoming a mother to the two.

They shoo me away, talking about how ludicrous I was speaking.

"Go get dressed up doll, I'm taking Dot dancing and I don't want Stevie to be all lonely."

"You can't do anything without me, can you?" I irritatedly slap him lightly on the shoulder.

"You're my little sister! You know you love me." He smirks, standing up and throwing his hands out to gesture to himself.

"Of course, of course. Now let me get dressed and we'll head out."

The night was spent with me and Stevie sitting at a table as Bucky and Dolores dancing around.

"Another, please." I ask the waiter, holding the beer out in the air.

A man dressed in a fancy suit slides into the vacant seat beside me. I eye Steve out of the corner of my eye, seeing that he isn't paying attention.

"What's a fine lady like yourself sitting around and not dancing?" The man questions, trying his best to flirt.

"That is none of your concern." I politely decline his unspoken offer.

"What if I made it my concern." He suggests lowly, dropping down in front of my face.

"Hey, leave the lady alone!" Steve tries to prevent anything happening that I don't want to happen.

The creep laughs, sizing Steve up. "Oh yeah, and what are you going to do?" He wraps an arm around me and I immediately retaliate.

Twisting the guy's arm behind his back, I pin him face down on the table.

"You still want it to be your concern?" I question right beside his ear. He shakes his head rapidly, running away as soon as I let him out of my grasp.

"Serves him right." I nod in satisfaction.

"I had 'em on the ropes."

"I'm sure you did."

----------------

"Pearl Harbor, Hawaii bombed by Japanese on December 7, 1941 solidifies that America has officially joined in on the war! We are now at war! We need all legible men to enlist and help us win this war!"

The words come out fast over the small radio from our kitchen. Bucky and I instantly sit up and look at each other.

Great. Knew this one was coming.

• • •
Author's Note: This is the most "in history" that I have ever been in. It's kind of exciting! Okay I'm going to shut up and let you read.
- J.S.

12. 24. 2020
Published: June 21, 2021
510 words