| 83 |

꧁꧂

꧁꧂

WE HAD PARKED the Quinjet right outside of the train station. It was the closest we could get without being detected.

The ship lifts into the air as it starts up. I close the back hatch, Nat standing beside me.

"Now, I thought we had a deal. Stay close, check in, don't take any chances." Nat speaks up as we make our way back to the front.

"I'm sorry. We just wanted time," Wanda voices from her spot next to an injured Vision.

Time. What a scary thing.

Sam is in the pilot seat, Nat taking his left flank. I stand beside Steve, his arm around my waist securely. Wanda and Vision eye the interaction, but Sam and Natalia pay no mind. I don't even think they noticed. They were used to it.

"Where to, Cap?" Sam only turns his head slightly to speak.

Steve turns his head, looking into my eyes. I tilt my head, raising my eyebrows. He furrows his before his face smooths out, remaining neutral.

"Home."

—————————————

"Hey babe, when you said home, which one did you mean?" I speak quietly into his ear. We were tucked away in one of the corners, ignoring the looks from the other couple in the Quinjet.

Steve was sitting spread-legged, leaning back in his seat. My butt is on the chair beside him, but my legs are strewn over his lap.

"How many are there?" His voice is a mix between shock and sarcasm.

"Thirty-six, counted them myself." I quote one of the movies Nat had shown me.

"Huh?" Steve is now confused.

"I'm only joking. Maybe four for you. Brooklyn-our home, the facility, New York- the city, and..." I'm lost on my next answer.

"Wakanda," Steve answers in a snip.

"But, how? We've never lived there."

"But Bucky lives there, and he's your brother. He is your home."

"So are you," I input. Steve stares at me, not answering for a while. "What?"

"I love you."

I smile at his answer, turning my head away to hide my blush. He puts a hand under my chin, lifting my face up to meet his. "I love you," he repeats.

I grin, zipping my lips mockingly. He rolls his eyes at my stubbornness. "You don't have to say it back, I know you love me."

"Yeah, and you better believe it." I tease.

"How about a kiss?" He leans his face closer to mine.

I hum, looking up confused. "I don't know, Blue."

Steve rolls his eyes, putting a hand behind my head and slamming my lips onto his. I react instantly, returning the kiss. I groan lowly into his mouth. I can feel a shiver travel through him.

I pull away quickly, taking note of his change of behavior and the audience we have.

I remove my legs from Steve, moving to Wanda and Vision.

They go into an act where they try to act like they weren't just paying attention to me and Steve.

"How are you feeling?" I ask Vision, observing the stab wound of his.

"Better. Thank you."

"Yes, of course. Anything we can do to help. I was wondering, have you heard any word on Tony?" I question. Maybe, just maybe, they had.

"No, I'm sorry, I have not. I'm assuming you saw the news?"

"Yeah, and I'm getting kind of worried. Peter isn't answering his phone either. I think he might be with Tony. But that's worse-case scenario."

"Yes, we just have to hope for the best." Wanda smiles reassuringly. "Where are we heading?"

"Oh, I asked Steve and still didn't get an answer. Hold on," I turn around to face a weird-looking Steve. "Hey, Stevie. Which home?"

"The Avengers facility in Upstate New York."

"I've never been there. I have been in the tower before it was the Avengers', but that doesn't count because it was only for a little while."

"It's actually quite beautiful," Vision speaks up. I keep observing Steve, noticing his weird behavior. I'll ask him about it later.

"You know, I've never officially met you yet. I mean, we fought at the airport, but that was it. I'm Charlotte Barnes, but you can call me Charlie. Only Buck and Steve call me Charlotte, and that's only sometimes."

"I'm The Vision."

"How are you... you?" I question, confused on how he even exists.

"Well, I was created a few days after Ultron to help stop him by Doctor Bruce Banner and Mister Tony Stark. I'm pretty much just a circuit board with an infinity stone in my forehead. A super bot."

"You are more than just that," Wanda inputs.

"Thank you, darling."

"You sound like JARVIS," I point out, remembering the voice from 2012.

"That's because I am apart of him, along with Banner, Stark, Ultron and the Mind Stone."

"Cool."

He scoffs playfully. "Yes, cool."

• • •
- J.S.
7. 6. 2021
Published: July 27, 2021
820 words