| 81 |

Year 2018
April
Age ninety-nine

Year 2018AprilAge ninety-nine

꧁꧂

GRABBING THE SMALL device from the table, I flick the switch on. It beeps for several moments before powering on. Maneuvering through all the buttons, I come up empty-handed on their location.

"Natalia," I call. She stands from the bed, gracefully walking over and leaning over my shoulder to read the device. "No location," I point out.

She sighs, forehead creasing.

"Do you think they would turn off the transponder?" I question, turning it off and back on to make sure it wasn't being buggy.

"If there was something compelling them, like a normal life, then I would believe so, yes." Natalia answers, moving away from me to gather the two boys in the kitchen.

"Wanda and Vision are off line," I announce once they were in the room.

"What? Are they okay?" Sam crosses his, leaning against the wall.

"I can't tell. We can try calling them. But if we really need to, I can hack into it and find their location." I brush a piece of my hair out of my face, looking up at the three. My eyes remain on Steve, our Captain.

"If she doesn't answer her phone, you do that." Steve picks up his burner phone, clicking on her contact and calling her. The phone rings for a minute and a half before it leads to voicemail.

Stevie looks up at me, nodding his head to confirm what I should do. I get to work on the transponder, hacking into the program to turn her location back on. It only takes about ten minutes before I get her location.

"Scotland," I answer, snapping my head up. "Their location was off for two weeks."

"How did it not alert us that she turned it off?" Nat questions.

"Cause we didn't turn the device on in about a month," Wilson figures out.

"So, we're going to Scotland?" I voice, redirecting the conversation slightly.

"Yes ma'am, if that's where they are. Just to make sure they're okay." Steve stands from his seat on the moldy couch, starting to pack his bags.

I do the same, gathering all the weapons I have laid around the apartment. Sam eyes the unsheathed knife I lay in my bag.

"You're going to cut a hole in your bag. Or, better yet, stab someone with your bag." Sam complains about my dangerous habits.

"I know what I'm doing, Wilson." I continue to pack my clothes and belongings, even though it's a small amount.

"Right," he remembers my past. Hard to forget, trust me.

"We leave in fifteen," Steve speaks up.

—————————————

The engine whirs as our stolen Quinjet powers up. I stand behind Natalia's chair, playing with her short blonde hair.

"How far away is Scotland from where we are?"

"About three hours." It's right after five in the afternoon, so we should make it right after nightfall.

I move to sit in a seat against the wall, turning on the tv news. Car crashes and shootings. After a little over two and a half hours, the news changes to Breaking News. I watch intently as weird looking things show on the screen.

"New York was attacked," I announced loudly. The channel then shows another head line. "Tony Stark is missing. Tony... We have to get to Wanda and Vision faster. We need to get them and get to New York."

The Quinjet speeds up.

I pull out my phone, calling Peter. He was close to Tony, physically. I just hope he wasn't with him. The phone rings before it leads to voicemail. I groan, calling him again. Voicemail, again. Over and over, the phone rings with no answer.

"Peter isn't answering his phone. Steve, he's not answering." I look up at Steve, my eyes wide and fearful. I try to hide it, but it won't stop. He comes up to me, pulling me in a hug to let me let my emotions show in a hidden way.

"It's okay, we'll go find him." He whispers reassuringly in my ear. He kissed my head gently.

"What if he's in trouble?" I voice my worry.

"Then we'll go save him."

Once we were in Scotland, the transponder starts beeping erratically. "Wanda and Vision are in trouble."

• • •
- J.S.
7. 6. 2021
Published: July 27, 2021
718 words