| 70 |

꧁꧂

꧁꧂

TONY,

I'M GLAD you're back at the compound. I don't like the idea of you rattling around a mansion by yourself. We all need family.

The Avengers are yours. Maybe more so than mine. I've been on my own since I was 18, besides Char. I never really fit in anywhere, even in the Army.

My faith's in people, I guess. Individuals. And I'm happy to say that, for the most part, they haven't let me down.

Which is why I can't let them down either.

Locks can be replaced, but maybe they shouldn't. I know I hurt you, Tony. I guess I thought by not telling you about your parents I was sparing you, but I can see now that I was really sparing myself. And I'm sorry. Hopefully one day you can understand.

I wish we agreed on the Accords. I really do. I know you're doing what you believe in, and that's all any of us can do. That's all any of us should.

So no matter what, I promise you, if you need us, if you need me, I'll be there.

P.S. Charlie wants to get in contact with that "Spider-Boy" so be expecting a call like that.

- Steve

Charlie waits in the Quinjet with Bucky as Steve went inside the prison to bust out our team.

It'd only been twenty minutes that'd passed when Steve exits with Clint, Sam, Scott and Wanda.

T'Challa, who happened to be "cat man", was already on his way back home to prepare for their arrival.

"Barton, Wilson." Charlie smiles, limping to hug the two. "Scotty," she shakes his hands in a funky way. "And I hear you're Wanda. Nice to see you again, Wanda. I'm Charlotte, but please, call me Charlie. I can introduce myself formally now that that is all over with."

Wanda shyly waves her hand, moving to join Clint's side.

"So, what's the plan?"

No one questions the bruised faces of Bucky, Steve and Charlie.

"Drop Clint and Scott off at their homes. They'll most likely be on house arrest. Work a deal. Sam, are you with us? We're going to head out to Wakanda." Steve explains.

"Isn't the prince trying to kill you?" Wilson questions wearily.

"Not anymore. He realized who the real killer was."

"Okay, then I guess I'll come."

"Great. I'm going to go lie down. We'll be in Wakanda in about an hour." Steve informs, letting Barton take the wheel.

Charlie follows Steve to a cabin.

When Steve entered, he waited for Charlie to enter before closing the door. "Come here," he muttered, opening his arms for her.

She walked in them, burying her face in his chest.

"We'll be okay."

"I know. It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when."

—————————————

Charlie stands beside Bucky, who sits on the medical bench as a Wakandan doctor wraps up his hand.

Charlie had her arm in a sling, helping her shoulder heal the correct way.

A black rubber is on Bucky's metal stub, covering the live wires.

Bucky is not looking at his sister, instead staring at the fancy looking chamber that will leave him frozen for two years.

Steve walks up to the siblings, checking out the cryostasis chamber as well.

"You sure about this?"

They all have been given new clothes, a shower, and a good meal. It was something they needed.

"I can't trust my own mind. So, until they figure out how to get this stuff out of my head, I think going back under is the best thing. For everybody."

Charlie sighs, looking down.

"You could stay with me. I'm not being put in cryofreeze."

"You have Steve."

"So do you," Charlie retaliates.

"Not in the same way." Bucky deadpans. "Also, you have a better control than I do."

Charlie nods slowly, accepting the answer. "I'm going to miss you, James."

"You too, Char." Bucky stands up, hugging me tight with his one arm. He kisses the top of her head before pulling away.

Steve and Bucky embrace one last time. "Watch after her for me," Bucky tells Steve sternly.

"Always."

Bucky enters the cryostasis chamber, the glass sliding up in front of his face slowly.

He closes his eyes peacefully, actually enjoying being frozen this time. Cold air shoots from the vents, filling up the chamber until everything inside freezes.

Steve and Charlie stare at frozen-Bucky for another longed moment before Steve extends his arm, letting Charlie wrap hers around his.

The two walk over the wall made of windows, staring at the beautiful view of Wakanda.

T'Challa joins them after a minute of standing there.

"Thank you for this." Steve says earnestly.

"Seriously, it's really appreciated." Charlie had warmed up to the new king pretty quickly.

"You and your brother, and my father... you all were victims. If I can help one of them find peace..."

"You know, if they find out he's here, they'll come for him."

Charlie shivers at the thought. Steve tightens his grip on her arm.

"Let them try."

"You give me a call if someone does, please." Charlie says quietly.

T'Challa nods, looking back at her. "Where will you all be?"

"Around."

"Anywhere specific?"

"Nope."

Charlie Barnes will return
End of Part Seven
- J.S.

6. 25. 2021
Published: July 17, 2021
886 words