Ch-71 Find Your Light

Moira was wrong.

She had to be wrong.

Who pulls out a sick joke like that to get a laugh? Claudia certainly didn't find it funny.

They even went as far as to put fake blood on Fenix's crest to make it look more believable.

He was hiding in here somewhere, that rascal always loved to tease and prank her all the time, one time he even brought a live snake and snuck it in her bedroom and Castella would've beheaded him if it weren't for Arthur interfering between.

He was reckless but not too much so to go as far to hurt her feelings, he had never done that, what reaction did he expect from her, to believe it.

"You're lying." Claudia chuckled, shaking her head.

Moira looked worriedly at her daughter. "Claudia, I am n-not lying....I wish I was."

"You're going too far with this, where is he?" She deadpanned, looking at the windows in the castle to see if he was lurking in there.

Marcus placed a hand on her cheek, turning her to face him, the king noticed that she looked almost as if about to cry. "Claudia...this is not some joke-

Not letting him finish, she harshly pushed his hand away stepping back, staring at all of them, looking for at least one of their faces where they were smiling a bit, clearly making this a joke.

"He...l-loved to prank around...he's here.." She hastily wiped the pathetic tears falling down her cheeks, this was no sad occasion.

"Claudia..." Marcus tried to get her to listen to him.

"No. I know he's here....this..." Claudia only found mournful faces from Marcus, Dean and Hela but Moira's eyes were red and puffy, she was sniffling silently and no one seemed to notice.

Moira never cried, she would always hold it together, she never cried when Claudia was almost mauled by a bear once when she just ten nor when the princess fell ill for a few months.

Unless....

"No!...No..." Her throat tightened painfully, clutching the bloody crest in her hands, she sobbed.

"No! He can't...that oaf is too dumb to die.." She laughed sardonically, taking a few steps back.

Before anyone could say anything, Claudia turned on her heels and sprinted away from them.

Moira went to call."Claudia-"

"No, let her be alone for a few minutes." He gave her own advice to the old woman, to give people space when they were in mourning or in sadness.

.....

Claudia assumed that she was in the gardens because of all the flowers and extravagant water fountains.

She was relieved that there weren't any people there and that she was alone, maybe all the gardeners had finished tending to their plants.

She found herself staring at a bed of red roses, that was the only flower that seemed to catch her attention even more than dahlias and lilies that bloomed their fullest.

Claudia didn't know what to think of roses at the moment, she wondered why people held them so dearly, a symbol of unconditional love, so vibrant and so lovely.

Yet, people never cared for the thorns, they hurt so much, why do people hurt themselves so much for a petty flower.

The irony of it all, the young girl Lila gave her a pink rose that Claudia would never forget but why?