Ch-57 The Calm Before The Storm

"So, princess, any reason why you won't follow your mother's words?"

King Marcassius asked Princess Claudette as they walked to the palace dining room arm-in-arm.

"My mother doesn't follow my words, so why should I return the favour anyways, Marcus?"

"Touche."

Claudia chuckled, their walk was mostly filled with a comfortable silence, other than a few questions here and there.

Claudia noticed Fenix's pace turn faster as if he wanted to be away from them, his fists clenched everytime she laughed at Marcus and silently huffed when he complimented her.

For Fenix, the walk took hours, it took him all of his willpower not to unsheathe his saber and slash Marcus and take Claudia and run away.

He didn't understand, they knew each other from when they were ten, he played a big part in training her, he secretly used to escape from his quarters and go to her to teach her what he had learned.

He even read bedtime stories and even comforted her when she had nightmares!

But in the end, she still saw him as nothing more than a friend. Fenix knew that his love for her could get them both killed, and he didn't want that to happen to her because of his foolishness.

Maybe she can just marry Marcus and leave Dominicia for good, that way he can forget her, even if he doesn't want to.

"Fenix, don't walk that fast, I want my mother to wait for a little longer." Claudia laughed from behind him.

Fenix stiffened and turned to look at her smiling at him, he had his helmet on so she couldn't see his scowl aimed at Marcus.

"Of course, Claudia." He said curtly before turning back, his pace now slower.

Claudia's face fell at his clipped and monotonous tone, thinking what she had done to upset him so much.

Marcus thought that it was best to distract Claudia away from the knight's irritation.

"So tell me, since when did you learn how to fight?" He asked.

He had her full attention, Claudia bit her lip, thinking of how to answer.

"Why are you even interested in that?"

"Curiosity."

Claudia scoffed. "Well, curiosity killed the cat."

"But satisfaction brought it back." He countered, shaking his head and chuckling.

"Damn it, and here I thought you were too old to figure that out." She huffed, glaring at him.

"And she even curses, ladies and gentlemen." He said dramatically.

"Is there a problem with that, kind Sir?" She said innocently, puppy eyes flashing at him.

"Oh, not at all, Milady." He bowed and Claudia threw her head back laughing.

"But really, when did you start training?" He was genuinely curious and interested about how she became so skilled, he would've been dead if not for his quick reflexes, catching the sharp hairpin she threw at him.

"I started when I was seven, my father took me to a training room that was located down a secret passageway. Moira was in on it too.

It all started with a small wooden sword and a little bow and then all the way to real metal ones and beautiful daggers, I was taught almost every weapon we had, from spears to even maces!

My favourite though was the cane sword, the one I had though was taken by father when he went to fight.

Fenix joined us when he was ten, I used to kick his arse everytime, even after all his knight training."

Fenix snorted. "The only time you ever kicked my arse was the very first time I fought you."

In response, the princess stuck her tongue childishly at his back. "No, you don't just remember from me hitting your head too hard, speaking of that he had a bump on his arse one time on the first day."

Fenix turned around and glared at Claudia and Marcus who were laughing worse than hyenas.

"That was one time!" He protested.

"I never said how many times." She grinned.

"You actually did, Claudia." Marcus clarified as she glared at him.

"Whose side are you even on?!" She exclaimed.

Fenix and Marcus' eyes locked. Marcus looked at him kindly and Fenix was hard to describe, his gaze was hard for a few seconds but it softened a little, just a little.

"We're finally here at the she-devil's domain. Be careful, Marcus. I worry for you." Claudia dramatically fell on his shoulders, her hand on her chest, sighing.

"Is she always this dramatic?" Marcus asked Fenix.

He thought the knight wouldn't answer but he was surprised when he did.

"You'll get used to it."

Fenix then turned to face the door, briefly glancing at Claudia who put on her 'elegant' posture with her back straight and head high.

All of a sudden, two people, a man and a woman, popped up from a room beside the trio taking Claudia by surprise as she gripped Marcus' arm tighter.

"My King."

The two bowed and the man addressed him.

"Dean, Hela." He acknowledged.

Claudia inspected them as they rose up, the man seemed to be a knight with armour and crest, she couldn't see much of him.

The woman on the other hand, wore a dark blue gown and looked professional, her black hair pulled back into a bun, this woman looked so beautiful, Claudia wasn't jealous, just in awe.

Marcus decided to introduce them. "Claudia, this is Dean and Hela. Dean is my personal knight, Hela is his sister, she is the head of our household."

"Your Highness." Hela bowed, smiling at her.

"I insist you call me Claudia, Hela." She said gently pulling her up by the arm.

"You look so beautiful." The princess said to her.

"That could never compare to how much of a goddess you look."

Hela noticed that a the majority of women she met in Dominicia were all caked in a hundred layers of makeup, seeing Claudia look so simple but so ethereal, she knew that she would be perfect for the king.

Marcus knew then and there that these two are going to be the best of friends, even more so when Claudia finds out Hela also loved fighting.

Claudia then turned to Dean who was still bowing but got up when she gave him a pointed look.

"You better not call me, Your Highness." She deadpanned.

Dean smiled, to her he looked like a playboy type, boyish but protective when he needs to be.

Hela then took her place behind Claudia, Dean behind Marcus as Fenix stood infront of the door.

"If I die, I'm just going to say Hela is my favourite Ceryscathian." Claudia admitted and Hela blushed.

Marcus raised an eyebrow. "And what of me?"

"You need to work your way up, Marcus." She grinned hooking her arm under his.

And then, Fenix pushed open the doors and silence befell the dining room.

"Don't die, princess."

"I didn't know you cared so much."

"Now you do."