Ch-12 Finally

The trip back to Volterra was not as enjoyable as Celine had imagined.

In all her five centuries of life she had never seen anyone else other than her mother.

This was all so new and terrifying for her and Marcus was aware of this. He never let her hand go even in large crowds.

All the noises, smoke and commotion caused panic attacks for the first week but he was there to help her.

One day, when she along with her mate and their companions were walking through near a paper factory, Celine was horrified at the fact they were cutting trees for all their needs. It dawned on her that all this was for land to live in and for crops to grow.

Marcus then realized that his mate was too innocent for this world.

On the bright side, one of the things she enjoyed about the outside world was ice cream. Even when a human passed by, she would only notice the ice cream in their hands.

Marcus found it really amusing but he was also happy that she was slowly getting used to big crowds and all the smoke and the noises.

Felix would always tease Demetri when he had to hunting at midnight. Not for blood, but in search of ice cream for their Queen.

In short, they were close to their destination.

.....

Volterra

The castle was now eerily quiet. Trials had been stopped and the criminals were put in the dungeons.

Aro and Caius' health was rapidly deteriorating. Renata, Jane, Alec and Corin were always by their side standing guard.

Marcus had not sent a single message and that answered all their questions.

He could not find her.

And they would all die.

Maybe Marcus has too.

That would explain why he had not sent word of any improvements or even their arrival.

The two kings could only take a few steps before losing their balance and falling.

Everyone was confused as to why they were experiencing such a degree of torture.

This never happened for Afton and Chelsea, or for Santiago and Renata. They would spend months away from each other for missions but they were not hurt in any way through the mate bond.

So, one of the main theories they had was that the bond between the kings and Celine was so strong that it if one died, the other would.

Jane would sometimes lock herself in her room and unleashed tearless sobs all night and would act as if nothing happened the next day.

Alec would have the numb the senses of the kings when the pain got too unbearable.

Aro and Caius had hallucinations about Celine playing the violin. Sometimes, it was more horrible. Recently, it was rejecting them. The most terrifying was one in which she died before Marcus could reach her.

It was hell in Volterra until the letter came.

One day, a messenger bought a letter that was written from France addressed to the kings.