Ch-53 An Alliance..Of Sorts

"Don't tense your shoulders so much, Claudia!"

Moira corrected the now eighteen year old Claudia as the girl groaned trying to loosen her shoulder muscles to shoot the arrow perfectly.

"How about now?" She barked at her Nanny. Even after an entire decade, the woman's training hasn't even gone a little bit softer.

"Better than the last. Now, aim with both of your eyes and not just one."

Claudia took a deep breath and focused her eyes on the tree bark where target was put by Moira.

"Pull the arrow up to your cheek."

Her muscles tensed as she pulled back her string whilst struggling to keep her eyes on the aim.

"Now shoot."

Barring up all the leftover confidence she had, she let the arrow loose, watching it carefully as it bent against a light breeze.

Claudia's hopes were diminished as the arrow landed the mowed grass and not target or even the tree.

She groaned and threw the bow on the ground in frustration and collapsed on the soft ground.

"I can't do it. Maybe Mother was right, women don't belong i-OWW!"

Claudia yelped as she was hit on the head with a stick. Looking up, she saw Moira glaring at her with her arms crossed.

"Get up you foolish girl!" She ordered.

The young woman suppressed another groan but got up not wanting to face the wrath of the old woman.

"Do you really believe that?! Are you giving up right now?!" She shouted and Claudia winced.

"But Moira I can't-

"You can't or you won't?!"

"Just listen-

"Listen to what?! Do you think this is what your father wou-

"HE'S NOT HERE!" Claudia screamed and let out a sob as Moira's eyes went from anger to sympathy.

"He's not h-here...I would've been able to shoot it perfectly if he was, I would have been able to properly wield a sword or even fight with my bare fists. I can't do anything without him."

Moira understood Claudia's feelings. When the news of King Arthur had first spread to Dominicia, Claudia was hit the hardest.

He was the only reason she went against her mother's will and secretly went to train when the Queen was busy.

He would chase away any suitors she had, much to the annoyance of Queen Castella and encouraged her to focus on fighting and combat.

Even after three years, Claudia simply couldn't wield a sword properly anymore, her excuses were the weight was either too heavy or her arms was aching too much.

"I know you and Fenix are taking a lot away a lot of your time to teach me all of this but why do it....when I'm not even...I can't!"

Claudia shook her head and picked up the bow and all the wasted arrows and trudged past Moira.

Claudia only heard a few faint words from the old woman.

"He would....wanted....for you.."

Claudia nimbly avoided all of the servants as she secretly went past their quarters, if the Help knew of where she was going, her mother would find out in just an hour.

She tiptoed past her mother's quarters knowing she was inside because of her loud voice that could be heard from the other end.

She sighed in relief when the door of her own chambers were visible to her. She quickly scooted inside and closed the door, safe from her mother.