Chapter 4- First Lesson

Johnny stood in his black gi in front of Y/N and Miguel, the latter standing very awkwardly. The three just stared at each other in silence until Miguel spoke up. "So, are we gonna get the karate pajamas too?"

"Quiet!" Johnny yelled, causing the two kids to flinch. "The student only speaks when spoken to. Is that understood?" "Yes," Miguel replied. Johnny looked at him with a raised eyebrow. "Yes, sir?" Miguel asked unsure. "Always address me as sensei. Is that understood?"

"Yes sensei." Y/N and Miguel said in unison. "These aren't pajamas. This is a gi. And you'll get one when you've earned it." Johnny said, answering Miguel's previous question. "Ready to begin your training?"

"Yes sensei." The kids answered in unison again. In one quick motion, Johnny rushed Miguel and flip him onto the ground. Y/N had to resist laughing as she watched Miguel groan in pain. It wasn't funny that he was hurt it was just funny at how nonchalant Johnny was.

"Lesson one. Strike first. Never wait for the enemy to attack." Johnny said, pushing himself off the ground. "You could have gave me, like, a warning." Miguel groaned. "Quiet!"

"We do not train to be merciful here. Mercy is for the weak. Here on the street, in competition, a man confronts you, he is the enemy. An enemy deserves no mercy. What is the problem, Mr. Diaz?"

Y/N looked over to see Miguel taking some puffs from his inhaler. "There is no problem, sensei. You punched me, and I have asthma, so." Miguel explained. Johnny grabbed his inhaler and tossed it at the wall, causing it to break.

"Not anymore.  We do not allow weakness in this dojo. So you can leave your asthma and your peanut allergies and all the made-up bullshit outside. Understood?" Johnny rambled. Miguel looked at Johnny in confusion and shock.

"Yes, but those are real medical problems. I was-" Miguel started before Y/N elbowed him in the side. Miguel glanced at Y/N and then at Johnny before sighing. "Yes, sensei, understood."

"Cobra Kai isn't just about karate. It's about a way of life. Take that first lesson. Striking first is the initial step towards victory. Ok? Like when you're at a party and you see a hot babe. You don't wait for another guy to talk to her first, do you?"

"I mean I've never been to a party, so..."

"Big surprise."

Y/N let out a snort as Johnny continued. "Alright look. Striking first is about being aggressive, all right? If you're not aggressive, you're being a pussy, and you don't wanna be a pussy. You wanna have balls."

"Don't you think you're doing a lot on genderizing?"

Johnny gave a Y/N confused look before turning back to Miguel. "What?"

"Oh, sorry don't you think you're doing a lot of genderizing, sensei?"

"No. I- What the hell are you talking about?"

"Oh, uh, my guidance counselor says that certain words perpetuate the sexist world view that can trigger-"

"Quiet! From now on you won't listen to your guidance counselor. You're gonna listen to me. Is that understood?"

"Yes sensei."

"Good. Now stop yapping like a little girl and give me 50 push-ups on your knuckles."

Miguel looked at Y/N a little scared. "Uh yeah ok."

Y/N moved to stand next to Johnny as they watched Miguel get down on his hands and knees. He clenched his hands into fists and pushed himself into his knuckles. He tried to bring himself down but nearly fell, causing Johnny to grimace.