Chapter 89- Coming Home

Hector unlocked the door to a shop, letting himself and Miguel in before quickly locking the door behind them. Hector walked into the shop and went behind the counter, pulling out a bottle of tequila and placing it on the counter. "Uh, you know we should probably get you home. I can drive you-" Miguel started.

"No, no no. We gotta lay low for a few days. Maybe a week or two." Hector dismissed as he poured himself a glass of tequila. "What about Maria and Luis?" Miguel asked, referring to Hector's girlfriend and her son.

After the incident Miguel had at the bar, he had almost given hope of finding his father. When he stepped out of the bar, he was ready to start heading back to the bus station when someone called out to a man named Hector. This caught Miguel's attention, leading Miguel to see a man with short raven hair, a scruffy beard, and brown eyes tossing out a bag of trash.

Miguel followed the man from a distance, not sure how to approach him, especially since he was worried this encounter might end up like the last one. He had followed Hector through a park, where he witnessed the man interact with a beautiful woman and her son. Miguel felt a sadness wash over him as he watched his father interact with, what Miguel assumed was his new wife and son.

The three of them left the park, with Miguel following from a distance. The little boy was trailing behind Hector and his mother when he suddenly dropped the soccer ball he had been holding and it rolled into the road. The little boy chased after it, not realizing a car was barreling toward him. Miguel, thinking fast, ran out into the road and snatched the boy just in time.

Hector, thankful for Miguel's heroics, invited him back to his house where he officially introduced Miguel to his girlfriend and her son, Maria, and Luis. Miguel grew fond of them quickly, and also started to form a bond with his father. Except, Hector didn't know Miguel was his son.

Miguel was furious that his mother had kept him away from Hector, unaware of who Hector actually was. That evening, Hector decided to take Miguel to an underground boxing match that he was running. As they were at the match, Hector noticed two unfamiliar faces standing in the crowd, both of them wearing shirts that read: FBI.

Hector, suspicious of Miguel, started threatening him and even took his phone. Once Hector realized Miguel was not connected to the "FBI agents", Hector insisted the two take their leave. Which is why they were now standing in a closed-down convenience store.

"Ah, they'll be fine. She's only after my money in the first place." Hector said, taking a big swig of his tequila. "Why would you say that?" Miguel asked warily. Hector didn't answer as he pressed a button on the cash register in front of him. The drawer popped open and Hector pulled out a wad of cash and shoved it into his suit jacket.

"You know about Icarus, kid?" Hector asked. Miguel didn't respond, prompting Hector to continue his rant. "My dad used to tell me all the greatest stories. That was his favorite. 'Fly too close to the sun, chiquito, you'll burn you wings right off.' What you don't learn till you get older is that the sun is the government, it's women. You fly too high, they come and...bring you down. People will always come after what's yours."

Hector took a swig from the bottle of tequila before reaching into his waistband and pulling out a pistol. He placed the pistol on the counter, causing Miguel to swallow in nervousness. "They want you to sleep with one eye open. I can't even go back to my home in Ecuador. Can you imagine?" Hector asked angrily. This caught Miguel's attention.

"What happened in Ecuador?" He asked with wide eyes. Hector scrubbed a hand over his face. "Success. Success happened. That woman I told you about? I was practically your age when we got married. Hey, hey. Don't ever make that mistake. She couldn't stand me doing my business. And her mother? Even worse. ¡Trataron de joderme a mí, un hombre exitoso! ¡Los corrupts manacidos en Ecuador hicieron lo mismo! And you know what I regret? Nothing." Hector shrugged, picking up the bottle to take another swig.