Girl meets The Great Lady of New York Part 1

Ari POV:
"The Statue of Liberty, the great lady of New York has been speaking loud and clear since 1885. Anybody know what she's trying to say? Maya?" Mr.Matthews asks Monday morning as we sit in class. Everybody in their desks while I sit up on my desk hugging Lucas because we watched a horror movie yesterday and now I can't let him go.
"Should I just talk?" Farkle asks as he looks at her.
"Yeah I'm just gonna sit here" I reply holding Lucas tighter. "You can take this one."
"No, I'm sick of people thinking Farkle and Ari are smarter than I am" Maya says.
"Here comes fun" Riley speaks up.
"Name one thing about the Statue of Liberty that you know that I don't" Maya challenges Farkle and I.
"She was a gift of friendship from..." Farkle starts off before being cut off.
"C-Cathy" Maya says.
"We got her right after..." Farkle says again.
"Cathy didn't want her anymore" Maya cuts off again.
"What does she stand for?" He asks.
"Because Cathy took her chair" She answers.
"Boy, that Cathy huh, what a hoot" Farkle says.
"She's not real genius, I made her up. I'm so smarter that you" Maya scoffs.
"You are you really are" Farkle replies sarcastically.
"You better baby?" Lucas whispers.
"Nuh Uh" I say shaking my head. "Don't leave" I mumble burying my head into his neck.
"Welcome to cultural week people" Mr Matthews starts. "The school is throwing a cultural fair to celebrate who we are and where we came from. Anybody taking part?" He asks.
"My grandma's gonna have a booth at the fair Mr Matthews" Niguel replies after being called on.
"That's great Niguel. What culture will you be celebrating?" Mr Matthews asks.
"She was originally from Cambodia. She escaped and lived in the Philippines, then she came here." Niguel explains.
"Did you know that about him?" Riley asks Maya.
"It surprises me when any of these guys talk" she replies causing me to roll my eyes, I'm still getting used to being friends with them and when they talk like that it's honestly much harder.
"And that's exactly what makes America so unique. We all come from exotic locales with fascinating traditions." Mr Matthews explains.
"Well where are we from?" Riley asks.
"Philly" Mr Matthews answers.
"What's are fascinating tradition?" She asks again.
"Cream cheese" he replies.
"So I'm the great lady of cream cheese? I want a better tradition please" she says.
"Funny you should say that" mr Matthews starts before Riley cuts him off.
"Funny "haha" funny or funny uhhh Yay funny?" She asks.
"Here's your assignment" Mr Mathews starts before everyone except me and Farkle groan. Me just shrugging and Farkle letting out a small yay. "Everybody look around. Do we know each others stories? Do you know your own? Our stories are what make us part of a community. Come in tomorrow and share your heritage with us. Share your story." Mr Matthews explains the assignment causing me to smile since I do know some of my story especially in my dad's side since he always loved telling me about our heritage.
"Do I even have a story?" Riley asks.
"You have a wonderful story Riley. It's time you found out what it is" He replies. "Ari?" He calls out.
"Yes sir" I reply holding onto Lucas.
"Why are you holding onto him so tight today?" He asks.
"We had a movie night yesterday and he chose a scary movie and now I don't wanna let go" I say before the bell rings.
"Up" I ask my bubs smiling innocently at him causing him to awe at me.
"Why are you so adorable baby?" He asks before standing up and picking me up as I cling back onto him.
"Your lucky I love having you to hold on to or else I'd probably just drop you" he says laughing at me.
"I love you bubs" I reply kissing his lips quickly.
"Yeah Yeah I love you too" he says jokingly before pecking my lips as we walk towards our lockers.
Before we know it school is over and i finally let go of Lucas around lunch time since I feel better now. I head over to to the Matthews apartment with Riley since I have to babysit Ava for a few hours today.
As we walk down the hall we start to hear some Cuban music and I nod my head along.
"I'll be over in a sec Riles I'm gonna go check in with Mrs Morgenstern" I say.
"Okay Ari see you in a few" she says walking into her apartment. I walk up to Ava's and knock on the door before Ava opens the door dressed in a Cuban outfit.
"I don't even wanna know" I say.
"Hey Ari!" She exclaims.
"Hey Ava" I say walking in behind her before going over to her parents who said she would walk over to the Matthews in a few minutes and I would start babysitting then. "Sounds good Ava see you in a few" I reply before going over to Riley's.
"That's so nice of you, Mom, making Auggie's little friend feel more comfortable in a new scary place" Riley says as I walk in.
"Is that Ropa Vieja, I smell" I say walking up to the table.
"Yes!" Mrs Matthews exclaims.
"Hey Mrs Matthews" I say.
"Hey Ari" she replies.
"What's up with all the Cuban stuff today? The music, Ava's outfit, and now the food, I'm so confused" I ask.
"Auggie's new friend is from Cuba" Riley replies as I make an ahh face in realization.
"Ahh okay" I say nodding my head before the door opens and the music resumes.
"Hey thanks a lot. When you visit me I'll play Yankee Doodle" a little kid says walking in with Auggie.
"Well he doesn't actually seem scared" Riley says.
"This is my new best friend Rafael, Raffi's from Cuba" Auggie says introducing him.
"Or as we say in Cuba, Cuba" Raffi says. "Wow, something smells like ropa vieja" He says.
"Yay! That's a relief" Topanga says excitedly.
"Very kind of you. Thank you smells like home." Raffi says kindly.
"Oh it was no trouble at all Raffi" Topanga replies.
"Good. I wouldn't want anybody to go out of their way just to make me feel welcomed" Raffi says before the door is slammed open and in enters Ava dancing along to the music in her outfit.
"Too much?" Ava asks as she stops.
"That makes so much sense" I say nodding. "Can we eat please? That smells so good Mrs Matthews" I ask.
"Of course Ari" she says before serving us some.
"So Ari where are you from? what's your story?" Riley asks.
"You'll see tomorrow Riley" I say smiling a little.