Girl meets Goodbye Part 1

Lucas POV:
"Wow, so much emotion. Why is everybody so emotional when nothing's happening?" Riley asks as she walks through the door. Riley's mom had been offered a job in London and now we were all waiting to hear if she would be taking it.

"Because it is happening, Riley." Farkle replies upset.

"Why are you so sure?" She asks him.

"Look at the board." Ari speaks up looking to see the board which clearly read Belgium 1831.

"Belgium 1831. The Netherlands was a group of friendly states who thought they'd stay together forever..." Mr.Matthews starts as Riley and Maya take their seats.

"Uh-oh." Riley mutters starting to realize what this meant.

"Belgium 1831 is us." Farkle tells her.

" ...until Belgium made the decision it was time to go." Mr.Matthews continues.

"Uh-oh! Smackle, do something!" Maya exclaims as they get more nervous.

"What do I do?" Smackle asks her.

"You.." Maya starts to say before Farkle interrupts.

"Ask important questions! He erases it if you ask important questions!" Farkle tells his girlfriend.

"Gotcha." Smackle says before she stands up out of her seat and starts to ask questions at random. "Why are we here? What is the meaning of love? Is there a destiny that shapes our ends? What's the deal with artificial intelligence? If it's artificial, can it be intelligent? Yes." She asks before sitting back down.

"It was decided that Belgium would no longer be part of the United Kingdom of the Netherlands, but its own independent country. Belgium was free." Mr.Matthews continues teaching ignoring the questions.

"Did people visit it?" Riley interrupts.

"People like who?" Mr.Matthews asks.

"Belgium's friends. Did they visit it or did they forget her like Kerri Abelson?" Riley asks ask Ari and I look to each other confused who's Kerri Abelson.

"Oh, yeah. What ever happened to Kerri?" Farkle asks her.

"She moved across..." Riley starts to respond before cutting cut off.

"I don't care. She's gone." Farkle says in a dark voice.

"At that point, Belgium was no longer part of a group, but its own sovereign nation... ready to meet the world on its own terms." Mr.Matthews says.

"What if it wasn't ready yet?" Riley asks him.

"What if none of us are ready for this? I'm not ready for this, Riley." Maya asks upset.

"So, Belgium was gonna be about our own freedom when we left this place?" Ari asks Mr.Matthews.

"That was my plan. But sometimes, things happen in life earlier than they're supposed to." He responds.

"So, what do we do?" Zay questions.

"We do our best. Like we've always done. We leave our good mark and we hope that people remember us fondly." He answers looking at the class.

"I did my best. I hope that you remember me fondly." Riley says looking around at our group and other classmates.

"I'll remember you fondly." A girl speaks up.

"Thank you. Who are you?" Riley smiles at her.

"Kerri Abelson." The girl responds causing Ari to giggle quietly.