The Graduate

Song - When I Grow Up by NF

-_- Day of Graduation -_-

"Cat! Come on, we're gonna be late!" I shout from the front door.

I hear her heels clacking against the hard wood floors as she tries to run. "Fuck this, I'm walking bare footed... if they have a problem with it, they can kiss my ass." She says, stopping momentarily to remove her heels, and making her way to the car, tossing her heels in the back seat.

"Are you sure you boys are ok getting an Uber? Pretty sure Andrew won't mind sitting on Ri's lap." I say with a wink, giving my brother shit.

"We'll meet you there ladybug." My dad smiles at me as I climb into Billie's car.

I turn the key in the ignition and it roars to life. I look over at Cat in the passengers seat reapplying her lipstick in the compact visor. Typical for her to go a little overboard when she wants to look good.

She catches me looking at her. "What?"

"You do realize you're just gonna end up making out with someone by the end of the night and your lipstick isn't gonna last." I explain as we start the drive to the auditorium.

"I hate that you're right, but you are right. Pictures though! You know I always take pictures before my make up goes down the drain." She says pulling out her phone.

She snaps a few selfies, trying to get me in them. She takes a few more pictures of just me, holding my hand out trying not to get photographed. "Cat I'm not trying to die on the way there, stop." I say in between laughing fits.

~~~~

"Violet Blair Adams."

As Dean Collins calls my name, I walk across the stage and shake her hand as she hands me my degree. I pause for a moment for the photographer to snap a picture and then rejoin the students that were called before me.

I take a moment to open the lined display folder, admiring my full name printed over the document. Finally some good came from this year, and I'm so glad it's over. I sit and listen to the rest of the students get called on to file through. Giving a loud hoorah when Cat's name gets called. What, I gotta support my ride or die.

I find my family in the crowd of people waiting around after the ceremony. I'm practically smothered in hugs. I can't tell you how many times I've heard the words 'I'm proud of you' today. I still don't get used to it.

I hear someone clear their throat behind me and I turn to see my mom. "Can I help you?" I say in a snarky tone.

Instead of answering, she hands me an envelope and gives me an awkward hug. I slip the envelope into my back pocket, I don't wanna read it right now.

"Someone's salty. Hey, there's an after party at the rec center come with meee." Cat says giving me her signature pout.

"You only wore lipstick to make that pout look even more pitiful." I let out a sigh. "I hate that it's working."

Cat lets out an excited squeal and hugs me tight. My dad gives me a final hug before heading back to the house with Drew and Ri. He gave me the typical lecture of drinking responsibly and to call him if I need him. Yeah yeah...

~~~~

I'm on drink number three and it's only been an hour, I may need to slow down. I feel my phone buzz in my pocket but I'm too drunk to care who's texting me right now. If it's important they'll call.

I rejoin the crowd of dancing bodies with my now full cup of... I take a quick sniff of my drink... tequila I think. That's what I'm going with. I sip this one a little slower than the last three, dancing the night away.

I feel someone wrap their arm across my shoulders. I look to my left to see Cat with her lipstick slightly smeared, as predicted. "Hey I'm leaving with this tall drink tonight, are you good to get home?" She shouts over the music.

"Yeah, I can call Drew or my dad to pick me up." I shout back.

Another hour passes and I'm starting to miss my bed. I pull out my phone and call my brother. "Hey... I um... can you come pick me up? I can't feel my eyebrows."

"I'll be there in 30, just wait outside in the fresh air." He says before hanging up.

Try to his word, my brother pulls up half an hour later. "Ayeee!"

I cover my head with my phone in an attempt to avoid getting rained on. Not my brightest moment. I climb into the car and Andrew helps my inebriated ass buckle up. Aw my brother really does love me. Tears start to well up in my eyes.

"V, why are you crying? You were fine just a second ago."

"I'm fine now." I blubber out while my face leaks water.

"I-... but you're not."

"I just fucking love you." At this point I'm full on ugly crying.

"I love you too V." He says paying attention to the road.

We pass by the scene of an accident on the way home, all I can focus on are the pretty red and blue lights flickering back and forth.

~~~~

-_- Thirty minutes ago. -_-

*POV unknown*

I climb into the car and turn the key in the ignition. I'm so ready to ditch this place. I pull out onto the main road speeding up to get on the freeway.

Was that light red?

Or was it green?

The headlights of the car in front of me blind my vision and then it's all black. Everything is black, everything hurts. Searing pain rips through my body, I hear the lulling sound of the blinker ticking away, getting softer and softer until there's no sound left.

If I'm gone, who's going to tell her?

a/n: this marks the end of book one. I hope you all have enjoyed reading it as much as I've enjoyed writing it.

Book 2 is coming soon, I promise.

I love you bubbies.