Guiding Light

I'd be lying if I said it didn't hurt when she shut me down and sent me on my way. I'd be lying if I said I went to her classes this week. I'd be lying if I said I hadn't slipped off of the rooftop this morning.

I fell in the opposite direction of the sidewalk below, and spent the day just sitting up there crying. The sun is setting by the time I finally get the energy to finally move and I leave the rooftop to head for my room.

I saunter down the hall half expecting it to be empty on a Friday night, but there's someone sitting on the ground, leaning up against my door. When I get closer I see that it's Billie. The moment she looks up and sees me, she stands. She looks, nervous.

"What are you doing here?" I snap at her, rolling my eyes as I unlock the door and step inside. Instead of following me in like I'd expect her to do, she holds her foot out to keep the door from shutting.

"May I come in?" she asks in a low voice, almost a whisper. But the tone behind it just- Something about it gives me butterflies.

I turn away from her so she can't see my flushed cheeks and I hesitate for a moment to compose myself. "Yes you may."

I hear the door shut and I finally turn to face her, but I'm taken aback when I see that she's standing closer than I had anticipated. There's a questioning look in her eyes, like she's trying to figure me out.

"Why haven't you been to any of your classes?" she asks in a firm tone.

"I- how do you know that? Are you stalking me?" I blurt out.

"Well you haven't been to any of my classes this week, so I had assumed you were just avoiding me. I emailed your other professors and they said you hadn't been to theirs either. Besides, faculty has access to basic student information such as ones class schedule." she says with a smirk gracing her lips. She's obviously pleased with herself.

"That's great! You essentially reject me, but then come running when I don't show up. Do you realize how idiotic you sound?" I snap at her, which I immediately regret when I see her eyes go black. That's a new look... I swallow the lump in my throat and hope that she doesn't sense how nervous I really am in this moment.

"I'd advise you not to miss another class, especially one of mine if you have an ounce of self-worth or regard for your academic standing with me." she growls out.

That.

That hit home for me.

Because little does she know, I have zero self-worth left. Congratulations Billie, you've officially made me want to hate you.

I can feel the tears welling up in my eyes, threatening to spill over. "Get out." I order her, my voice cracking as it leaves my lips.

Her expression changes from one of darkness to one laced with genuine concern. "Violet..."

"I said get out Billie. I meant it." I elaborate, wiping my cheek with the back of my hand before crossing my arms over my chest.

She does something I wasn't expecting.

She pulls me into a hug.

The thing is, I don't fight it. I don't want to. I haven't been hugged like this in a long time. My arms instinctively wrap around her waist and I just breath her scent in as I soak her shirt with my emotional outburst. She doesn't complain. She just holds me and let's me cry and snot all over her shirt.

Once I've calmed down a bit, she pulls away and wipes my cheeks with her thumbs. "Are you ok?"

I sigh, avoiding her gaze because I don't want to see the look of pity I know she's giving me. "Honestly no. I've gone so long feeling empty and then I meet you... I don't know what it is about you, but you make me feel... a lot of different things, all at once. One of those things being, safe." I confess to her.

She takes a moment to process what I've said and then asks something I wasn't expecting. "What are you doing this weekend?"

I'd rather wallow in self-pity regretting everything that's come out of my mouth today, but instead I say, "Nothing."

"Well you have plans now. Take a shower, get dressed, and pack a bag. First thing I'm gonna do is take you out for dinner." she orders. Part of me wants to fight her on it and she knows that because she follows it up with, "Don't argue with me Violet..." in that same tone she was using before.

I swear I can feel goosebumps erupt all over me, and she hasn't even touched me. Part of me wants to know what would happen if she did. The other part of me is terrified.

Terrified, because I'm afraid I might enjoy it a little too much.

a/n: morning stretches hit different. Like that moment you feel all of your bones cracking and it's sooooo satisfying. Yeah, that's me right now.

What is something that you find satisfying? It can be asmr, painting, etc. anything.

Lub you bubbies 💕