A Bottle of Wine and a Resignation

Song - Lonely Star by Oh Wonder

*Billie's POV*

"Mom it's just dinner." I groan out, getting tired of her incessant need for everything to be perfect.

"Oh stop, this is the first person you've brought home since..." she trails off as she fixes the place settings at the table for the millionth time.

"Since Hayden, yeah I know. Please don't make a big deal about this. Just be... I dunno, normal?" I say shrugging my shoulders before running my fingers through my hair.

"With the way you dress? I'm sure nothing shocks her." She mocks me.

The audacity.

I roll my eyes at her comment. "Yeah yeah, I'm gonna go bug Finneas." I make my way to my brothers room, ready to annoy the shit out of him.

Seeing him in his childhood room brings back memories of goofing off and being happy. I've missed it in more ways than I thought possible. Finn's voice snaps me from my reminiscing."Hey dork, I'm just polishing up a few things. Wanna hear it?"

"Yes!" I exclaim, taking a seat on his bed and getting comfortable. He hits the space bar and the bass line and kick drums fill the room, then my voice comes in. I don't know that I'll ever get used to hearing my own voice, but for a moment things feel... right.

I hear a knock and jump up to answer it. I open the door to be greeted by Violet's toothy smile as she holds flowers and a bottle of wine. Is she- is she wearing a dress right now? I bite my lip and take a deep breath trying to compose myself from all the dirty thoughts running through my head.

"These are for you babe," she says handing me the flowers. "And this, is for your parents." she says gesturing to the bottle of wine.

"Well, you're just in time, I wanna show you something. Just leave the wine on the table and I'll introduce you to my parents in a minute. First, I wanna show you something Finneas has been helping me with." I explain as I grab her hand, leading her to my brothers room.

"Hey Vi, it's good to see you again." Finn says giving her a smile.

"You too, Billie said something about a project of some sort?" She halfway questions, not sure of what she's getting herself into.

"Right, check it." He says hitting the space bar and once again, music fills the small room.

Violet closes her eyes and takes it all in. The beat, the melody, the lyrics, everything...
A few minutes later comes silence and she opens her eyes. But I can't quite read them.

"Well... what do you think?" I press her. I need to know what she thinks.

"Is this... is this you? Because if it is, this isn't the first time I've heard you sing. Finneas sent me a demo track awhile back and I loved it but I forgot to ask about it..." she trails off.

I look at my brother giving my an awkward smile, like I won't kick his ass later for it.

Then Violet continues, "I think it's very well developed lyrically as well as musically. Typically when I listen to music I envision what could go along with it, this one makes me feel like I'm watching fifteen different Saturday mornings cartoons at once, but you're in every single one."

I smirk at her cute answer, but before I can reply, my moms voice rings through the house.

"Dinner's ready!"

~~~~

"Thank you for dinner." Violet says smiling as she gives my mom a hug. Fuck, it's so cute seeing her happy like this.

"Alright mom, I've gotta take her home. Remember, I'm not going to be here for part of the Christmas break." I remind her, raising my brow.

She just waves me off. "Yeah yeah I remember, be safe Billie and it was so nice meeting you Violet."

I wrap my arms around my dad and he gives me a squeeze. "Love you kiddo, don't do anything stupid." He says as he lets me go.

"Ok ok, do the stupid thing, just don't get caught." I reply giving him a goofy grin. He just shakes his head at me.

The ride home is quiet and blissful with a few moments of reminiscing over the evening.

"So hypothetically speaking, what would you say if I decided to pursue a career in music?" I ask out of curiosity.

"Oh, well I'd be happy for you if that's what you really wanted to do and it made you genuinely happy." She says with a genuine smile.

"That's good to hear, because I put my resignation letter in. I won't be returning after this semester is done." I confess.

"Wait what?"

Maybe she isn't as supportive as I thought.

a/n: I literally had a life imitates art moment today... please reference ch Lava if you wanna know how I felt.

I also rolled my ankle and basically face planted the other day, bruised my elbow, busted my knee. I need to be wrapped in bubble wrap lmao.

What's a crazy injury story you have?

I lub you bubbies! 💕