V

my eyes fluttered open, adjusting to the dim light emitting from the lantern beside me.

"dream." i smiled at the familiar masked man.
he lowered himself to the ground, sitting beside me.

"what are you doing out here?" he questioned, adjusting his mask slightly.

"what are you doing out here?" i questioned back, a small smirk forming on my features.

he chuckled, leaning back against the wall, turning his head to face me.
"i patrol the forest between our lands." he glanced across the valley at the dense greenery.

"but are you not the king's knight?" i adjusted my position, facing him.

"i am. i do more than just watch the king, y/n." he smiled. "now answer my question- what are you doing out so late?"

"i had some sort of a disagreement with wil- uh wilbur, the leader of l'manburg."

"yes i know him." his voice was flat, no emotion evident.

"he heard of what had happened earlier- with sapnap- and forbids me to leave l'manburg unless i am with him or phil." i mumbled, my eyes dropping to my fidgeting hands.

"oh."

"yeah, oh."

he sighed "i want to apologise again- for what happened today. i assure you i scolded him once we returned to the castle."

"but i promise i would never let anyone hurt you." he sounded sincere.

"thank you, dream." i brushed my hand against his arm. he glanced down at my hand, and then back to me.

"i guess this means i won't see you much." i frowned, retracting my hand. he pulled it back, holding onto it gently with his larger one.

"ill come visit you- if you wish." his thumb rubbed circles over my knuckles, warming them.

"are you allowed enter l'manburg?"

"well no, but i could meet you, in secret." his mask stared at me blankly. he was probably waiting for a reaction.

i titled my head slightly, so it was resting against the wall. the thin fabric of my cloak shielding my face from the cold stone.
"i would like that very much."

~*~*~*~

it was the day before the festival, blinding rays of light streamed through my translucent curtains. i had just taken a bath and i had returned to my room to get ready for the day.

the events of the night before bubbled in the back of my mind. i smiled lightly, picking up a white shirt and throwing it over my frame. i slipped on an ankle length f/c skirt and tied up my boots.

after securing my belt around my waist, i walked in the direction of the kitchen.

niki was sat at the table, reading through a few sheets of paper that lay on the hardwood in front of her. as i stepped into the room, her gaze shifted from the papers to me.

"good morning y/n, i hoped you slept well." she chirped in a cheerful tone.

"i did- thank you niki, i hope you did too."

she stood from her seat, pushing the chair under the table. "are you ready to help prepare for the festival?"

i nodded as she linked arms with me, and made our way to the town centre.

the air was crisp, the sun not yet heating up this autumn morning. niki and i strolled down the street, greeting those we met along the way, until we reached the middle of l'manburg.

three people were already there, filing through boxes of bunting and lanterns. as we approached, they noticed us.

"ah niki, y/n, you made it!" fundy beamed, mid rummage through a fairly large box. niki sped over to assist the boy. i walked over to the other two people who i recognised to be karl and quackity.

"good morning." i let out a little yawn, covering my mouth.

"someone was up late." quackity chuckled, nudging my arm.

my face heated up, i nudged him back and helped karl with one of the boxes.

~*~*~*~

after quite a bit of complaining, and struggles with a ladder, we had finally finished hanging up all the bunting and lanterns.

the place looked beautiful, the red, white, blue and gold banners hung, each one illuminated by a lantern. the cobbled floor was cleared out, tables and chairs pushed around the perimeter. i looked over to karl and quackity and smiled proudly.

"do you want to get some lunch?" karl asked, his soft, blue eyes catching the light.

"yeah of course- do you know where niki went by chance?" i questioned. i hadn't seen my friend in a few hours and i was curious as to where she had gone off to.

"oh i think niki went to get more flowers from the valley, with fundy." quackity hummed, leaning his weight against me. i jokingly shoved him off, quickly linking arms with karl and speeding off to the market.

yells of frustration could be heard as karl and i giggled to ourselves, his grip on my arm tightened as we ran from the brown eyed male.

a/n - festival chapter soon (hoping to make it super long) i hope everyone is enjoying the story, thank you so much for 300+ reads wow. votes, comments and saves are greatly appreciated:)